Impeachment Article I on its way to adoption, Article II pending

Like @toreyj01 said, we will see which side complains the most and the loudest to determine who this is impacting negatively the most. I would bet it will be Trump and the GOP. But time will tell.

1 Like

McConnell would have to be incredibly weak to fall for that. He didnā€™t get where he is by being incredibly weak.

Oh both sides are going to play this to the hiltā€¦repugs will express anger etc.

This is battle for moderates. How do you think itā€™s going to play out? Is this going to get moderates to vote for your side?

Both actions will bring each side base outā€¦but itā€™s the moderates that determine the outcome.

2 Likes

McConnell is not weak. He is a partisan through and through. And if he sees weakness or damage on his Senate caucus, then he will move positions. Watch for Romney, Collins, Murkowski, Gardner, Tillis, and a couple of others to see how this plays out.

1 Like

They can definitely legitimately do that. The Constitution says the Senate is to do the trial once there are articles of impeachment. It says nothing about a transmittal as part of the required process.
The only question is if they want to do this.

Thatā€™s a stupid post. Pelosi has nothing to complain about.

1 Like

Thank you. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I understand, you donā€™t need a crime of impeach. But how are you going to convince center, the moderates if no crime has been committed?

Youā€™re digging deeper and deeper.

The way I see itā€¦by keeping it away from the senate youā€™re preventing them from screwing it up. :sunglasses:

I look at it more like the Senate has already said there is not enough evidence and Pelosi is determined to provide it to bolster their case.

Itā€™s all in how you spin it.

Soā€¦just for the recordā€¦you believe that a public announcement is a legitimate method to assure that an agreement is carried out? There is then a legitimate purpose to demanding a public announcementā€¦not just for personal political gain (for example).

1 Like

So now the dems are back to polling in order to come to a decision? What happened to them doing their constitutional duty? I for one am glad theyā€™ve found their principles.

The majority party or coalition in Parliament are chosen by the people and those majority are authorised to choose the PM. So, in effect, the majority of voters choose the potential PMs and the potential PMs choose the PM.

A public announcement of the negotiated terms of an agreement between the two sides that will be overseeing the trial in the Senate as to what the rules will be governing this process? Yes. That is what was done with Clinton. Why would it not be appropriate here?

2 Likes

I think the lack of Senate exoneration will benefit the Democrats. If the GOP complains the Democrats have a decent argument to make about who is actually being the difficult one.

1 Like

No one said the two things were mutually exclusive. And they are obviously not. This is impeachment we are discussing. It is both a political process and a Constitutional duty.

1 Like

McConnell should agree, then run it the way he wants to. Itā€™s what the dems would do.

I thought the Dems argument in the House justifying their denial of due process for Trump was that this was not a legal trial but a political one. Now they want to claim in part two, that a legal paradigm applies. Forked tongues.

How?

You rush this through only not give it to the senate/trial?

How does look to those moderates?

Iā€™m not complaining hereā€¦Iā€™m hoping libs do hold it.

Again for nefarious reasons.

You may be right. We shall see.

I would, again, just pay attention to who whines about this more to get a good idea who it affects the worst.

1 Like

I am always curious what would happen in that case, considering the Chief Justice is presiding over the trial. If McConnell breaks the agreed upon rules does the Chief have any say in the matter?