Impeachment Article I on its way to adoption, Article II pending

There’s no pressure though. If it dies in the house, so be it.

Like the house wasn’t?

1 Like

It also removes any perceived inequitable actions by the senate. Politically, she just let them off the hook.

So I’m I.

Be careful what you ask for. :sunglasses:

And, remember that Turley said that what they had was paper thin, that they needed witnesses and documents. The GOP has been all over that. So if the Democrats now agree with them and want just that, it’s a hard argument for the GOP to now fight getting what they said they needed.

1 Like

This thing is not going to die. Trump cannot abide an out-of-sight, out-of-mind mentality it would take to let this die. There will be pressure from both the Democrats and from Trump. Different kinds of course, but pressure nonetheless.

Nope

House is the prosecutors bringing charges. He’s essentially under indictment on two counts

Now the senate holds the trial to determine if he should be convicted and sentenced.

Laurence Tribe likens it to a Sword of Damocles over the head of the President and the Senate, I find that to be more plausible.

1 Like

What law did he violate?

Exactly. And when you couple it with the argument that Trump and the GOP are making that he did nothing wrong, yet are refusing to allow the documents that prove his innocence to be presented, and refuse to allow the witnesses who would corroborate his innocence testify to exonerate him, then it is hard to not see the GOP being on the losing end politically here. Sure, they will still acquit Trump. But the Democrats argument will hold more weight.

Clinton was impeached, he just wasn’t removed from office.

To me, that means he was found guilty but didn’t get punished over and above that. I am more than likely wrong on this though, I am not a legal expert by any means.

Do you seriously think McConnell would let Pelosi dictate terms to him? He will just state that further discussions with Democrats, if any, will wait pending delivery by the House, IMO.

Pressure from the dems? Release it to the senate. Oh, won’t do that? Then quit griping.

Pressure from Trump? He’ll take the same tact. “If only the dems in the house would transmit the articles to the senate, as they’re supposed to do, America could move on from this travesty. Unfortunately, the house is more interested in running the senate than doing their jobs. Sad!”

Probably several if he were not President. I am not a legal expert though. But you don’t have to commit a crime to be impeached. Johnson swore at staff and fired the Secretary of War, those were two of his articles. One judge was an alcoholic, also not a crime. About a 1/3rd of all impeachments nationally and statewide were not based on crimes at all.

IMO the radicals have tied her hands.

This is last ditch effort but it plays into republican hands.

Pelosi can take that time and get things through the court now, since the impeachment part is out of the way. The Documents are especially important since they cannot claim the fifth.

It looks like they shot themselves in the foot and are hoping around.

I can move along. Their hopping doesn’t impact me.

:man_shrugging:t3:

1 Like

Dictate terms? No. Hold out until there is an agreement reached between McConnell and Schumer that is announced publicly? Yes.

So they impeached a President and now want to look for documents to see if there was a reason for having done so?

1 Like

I think the senate should inform the house, they have the approved articles of impeachment. Tell them the trial will start in the senate on x date.

Advise the Supreme court Justice the House has approved 2 articles of impeachment and they have set the trial to start x date.

Advise all senators the trial starts x date.

When X date arrives, call the session to order and as the prosecution to present it’s case on the Articles. If no one from the house is there, and give ample time, then close the prosecution and go on to the defendent (Trummps attorney.

After that, call for rebutal from the prosecution. IF the house still hasn’t sent anyhone, then close the trial and vote.