Illinois manufacturer moving to Mexico over Trump tariffs

This is what you typed, and what I responded to:
"under eight years with 2% or less annual GDP ".

Did you mis-type?

As a rule, if you run a small business and you don’t have good employees, and they are treated so badly they don’t care about the business doing well, then your business will fail. Lots of business owners go without annual pay raises during the tough years, while making sure to take care of their employees.

I’m sure there are bad business owners who short shrift their employees, but the fail, and no one hears about them anymore.

I’d actually say that small businesses are a different beast than corporations. Many small business owners only have a few employees and do care about their well being. It’s also simultaneously true that the owners will take significantly more salary than their employees. Both can be true at the same time I think.

With good small business owners, I’ve noticed that they also tighten their belts if they expect their employees to have to do so.

No.

Obama has gone down in history as not only, the only four term president never to have achieved a single year with an annual GDP of 3.0%, but he was below 3% for eight years in-a-row. He hit one year with 2.9%, that was a s close as he got. That’s a record no one will ever take away from him.

I’m not talking about a single quarter that rose above 2.9%, I’m referring to annual.

I saw one report that claimed Obama had a 2.9% annual GPD rate in 2015.

But most all of them mirror CNN’s chart which had Obama below 2.9%.

:roll_eyes:

Of course I have made more money than my employees. I have asked them to do a day’s work for a wage and benefits they agreed to. They are certainly free to move elsewhere if they feel it benefits them.

I’ve owned a small business for over 20 years. For about 15 of those years, I have had at least one salesperson earn more money than I did. I have always had the concept to grow my business through the people that work with me. My pay is predicated on their success. Without them, I don’t have a company.

Not only that but any savings you’ve accumulated goes back into making sure the employees are taken care of. A negative pay raise.

In a small business, people have names and faces.

I think if more people understood the dynamics of a small business and the risk/reward involved they would be shocked.

You typed:
"under eight years with 2% or less annual GDP ".

If you had typed 3%, I would not have responded.

Not a big deal…looks like you mistyped.
Admit it and move on.

Exactly! What I earn is predicated on the success of the people I work with. I may “own” the company but each person has a talent and it is up to me to make sure they are successful :+1:

What gets lost in this analysis is that the growth under the Obama administration occurred despite an overall retardation of government spending. In other words, against a tide of non-Keynesian nitwits at the state and federal level who decided that a recession was the time to cut or at least curtail government spending. These nitwits decided that stimulus was bad, so wouldn’t spend what was required to counter the recession.

These very same nitwits have decided that the countermeasure, after about seven years of growth, is to lower tax revenues and inflate the deficit. Why? Why are Republicans allowed to be in charge of the economy?

1 Like

You state that correctly. Many of my employees introduce me as their boss or “I work FOR”. I always say I work WITH…

I have found nothing more satisfying than developing the people I work with to create a better life for themselves. Whether that be working for me or seeing them develop the skills that create something even better.

i founded what is now a medium sized corporation.

now, you didn’t answer my questions.

:point_up_2:

And that’s how it really works.

Lo and Behold! Common ground, my friend!

I LOATHE being introduced as “boss” or “work for”. :flushed:

You have a talent in this area and I don’t. Therefore, that makes you “in charge” of this. Own it and I’ll back you up and support you 100%.

The people I work with know this. It makes us all a great team. They are paid very well, but pay is not the end all for everyone. Everyone has their own needs.

Well, yes that is how it really works. Are you bitter about that?

:point_up_2:

And that’s how it really works.

1 Like

Not at all. It’s just stating a fact.

Can’t really say more than this. Obviously, you are a person who understands small business. I can only give you an upvote and wish I could do times ten.

all of us try to take care of our employees. well, not all companies but i’d say most.

now, does that mean the owner/principal/president/ceo is gonna make less money (or benefits/etc) than his employees? only in rare cases (and usually not on average).

the reason almost all of us started a company was to make money and support our families. if that includes, say, a 10 person shop where the owner makes $50k per year and the average salary of the other 9 people is $60k per year, well, that’s not one i hear about much. maybe car dealerships that are new? i could see a 2 person shop where the employee is the brains or sales making more than the owner.

and in the long run the owner is gonna try (usually) to make really good money/benefits/retirement if they can.

What’s good for the goose is good for the gander. Might be fun to invade Mexico for jobs right?