I'll play Devils' Advocate- a post-COVID world is going to be problematic

It’s in the 80’s there as well as FL. That’s hot for WA in July/Aug.
Are they behind the crisis point because of the social distancing mandates or is the weather also affected it?
WA is also on the downslope and it’s been an unusually cold late winter/spring.
Still hoping that heat will help in the end.

We can’t know how much or to what degree the weather is playing into it yet but we’ll get a pretty good clue by looking at what happens in the Southern hemisphere as they are currently moving into their normal fall/wither cold/flu season.

Warmer weather encourages social distancing which is why fall/winter/early spring tend to be our worst times for seasonal respiratory illness outbreaks.

People in colder climates tend to gather inside in every larger groups as the weather gets colder then start moving more and more outdoors in the spring as the weather warms up.

Reduce the number of people gathering in close groups and you naturally limit the spread of respiratory illnesses.

It has little to do with the weather directly impacting on the pathogens themselves.

I think I’ll watch Bangladesh.
They have heat, humidity and horrific population density.

They are also a tropical country that rarely has a big problem with respiratory viruses.

Argentina, South Africa, New Zealand, Brazil and Peru would probably be better indicators.

Need to get a good long way from the equator to make a fair comparison.

Those would be good to watch, too.
Bangladesh will be a good indicator if this virus is different than others regarding heat/humidity.
I hope it does turn out to the same, otherwise it could be catastrophic in parts of Africa and Asia.
Fingers crossed.

Not really because again it’s an equatorial region that typically doesn’t have much of a problem with seasonal respiratory viruses.

For them to have a major outbreak would be a huge outlier.

They are also in the Northern Hemisphere so they don’t belong in the same grouping with nations now going into fall/winter in the Southern Hemisphere.

EDTA: Looking at Worldometer, their outbreak is really just now taking off and their first case wasn’t reported until March 8th. They could be looking at a pretty severe outbreak judging by the slope of the line.

Yes I saw that, too.
If it gets really bad, that may be a sign that COVID is an outlier.
I hope not. Fingers crossed.

Oh, ok. JayJay’s first post was the OP so i thought when you said;

that you meant from JayJay’s first post on this thread. My bad. Bad interpretation on my part.

Our conversation preceded the OP by Months.

Understood. Thanks for clarifying.

Libs live in an alternate reality. Many seem brainwashed to think Obama was great for the markets and economy. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

The left is desperately hoping the slow down will continue till election day.

2 Likes

After looking at some of her main points one can conclude the problem is just as much about overpopulation and how world economies cannot support this population. Here are a few of her summaries:

"The economy was already near the edge before COVID-19 hit. Wage and wealth disparity were big problems …many areas were experiencing protests because of unhappiness with the current economic situation.

…the shutdowns add to the number of people with very low wages or no income at all. The shutdowns also reduce the total quantity of goods and services available to purchase, regardless of how much money is added to the system. Many people will end up poorer, in some real sense."

Personally I’m not sure this is the end of the world, but I would concur that this pandemic will hurt world economies and will result in a streamlining of the labor force.

She’s a Peak Oiler.

I am too…and pessimistic…but not quite as pessimistic as she is…but I can be pulled that direction. So from time to time I post this stuff on sites where I know I’ll get opposing points of view.

I do find her idea of global society being a dissipating system an interesting one that I’d like to explore more. It makes sense.

Of course they are. A severe recession or depression is what they need to win in November along with a catastrophic death toll from this virus.

Neither is going to happen so the ranting and raving will just get worse by the day as we continue on the down slope and the economy begins to recover.

2 Likes

Oil at $15 a barrel for the first time since the 20th Century.

Since storage capacity is near full, the once unthinkable is set to happen…crude producers paid to keep the oil in the ground.

But yeah…$60 a barrel oil by September…:roll_eyes:

Who said we’ll have 60.00 oil by September. Cite the post.

Looks like a lot of people in Texas are getting laid off.

We were pushed prematurely to the bottom of the business cycle. We will start moving up again. A lot of productivity is gone but I don’t see the long term problem.
Stock market? People are looking very long term. I wonder if they will keep feeling that way when they see the next few quarters of income reported.

Really poor job Jay.

Now, one more time.