If Global Warming Is Real, Then Why......?

It must mean the brain is like a full glass of water: if you add more water some of the original water falls out of the glass. So if you learn something it must mean, apparently, that your brain must forget something else.

1 Like

I wonder, if Global Warming is real, then why is the ozone getting smaller?

I thought AOC said we were all ganna die in 2020 or something like that from the myth of GW?

Global warming and the ozone hole are not related. The ozone hole is getting smaller because the chlorofluorocarbons and halons that were causing ozone to be depleted at the poles were essentially banned internationally in 1989 (see the Montreal Protocol.)

The hole is currently so small also because it is very warm in the Antarctic.

It has nothing to do with the surface temperature.

The small hole we see today does.

No … it does not. The reduced size of the hole is solely due the banning of CFCs and Halons in 1989.

https://www.nasa.gov/feature/goddard/2019/2019-ozone-hole-is-the-smallest-on-record-since-its-discovery

That is the cause for the reduction. I’m commenting on the record small size of today specifically.

If you disagree, take it up with NASA.

You seem to have missed the words “upper atmosphere.”

Nope. Didn’t miss it. Higher temps in the stratosphere inhibit ozone depletion.

I see you edited in “surface”. With that edit you are correct but you were wrong before you edited in “surface”.

Glad we agree.

Increased atmospheric CO2 causes lower temperatures in the upper atmosphere.

That’s a weird nonsequitor.

I edited because there are people who do not understand the difference between temperature at the surface, which is the discussion of global warming, and the temperature in the upper atmosphere. But no, we are not in agreement if you think surface warming at the poles is causing the ozone hole to shrink.

I never said surface temperature, did I? Quit inferring.

Rejoice, we are in agreement.

How so? This ozone discussion began because of the confusion by someone that it is associated with global warming. Pure and simple, it is not.

The discussion is about global warming. Any reference to temperature is automatically thought to refer to surface temperature unless otherwise noted. (Which is exactly why I edited that previous post.)

And I still don’t see that we are in agreement. The ozone hole has shrunk, because of the banning of CFCs and Halons and their slow depletion from the upper atmosphere over the last 30 years, not because of some relatively minor increase in surface temperature at the poles.

Who apart from you, with respect to the hole in the ozone layer, is talking about surface temperature?

Everyone. What do you think global warming is all about!