If "gender" is a social construct, then why use the term transgender?

Gender roles and gender expression are social constructs. Gender identity is not.

For example the fact that women and men think/process differently is biological but the idea that women should have jobs more associated with caring (like nurses, teachers, stay at home moms) (gender roles) or that high heels, makeup, and dresses are considered women’s clothes (gender expression) are socially constructed.

There are certainly gender abolitionists on the left, but I’m pretty sure they are minority. Its more common on the left to believe we should do away with gender roles, but that gender expression is fine and that people shouldn’t be chastised for exploring the expression of genders different from their own.

My personal opinion is that all toys should be non-gendered, people should be allowed to wear what they want, and while anyone can wear makeup if they want, I think its silly outside of when its theatrical (or for appearing on camera under lights) regardless of gender.

We could just not be jerks about it. But conservatives have really been bummed out since they can’t call gay people moral abominations who don’t deserve the same rights as others for the last few years, so I guess trans folks are gonna get it until they suffer another crushing defeat like with gay rights and pretend like they were never against it.

Why do people who don’t care to understand keep trying to pretend they do by asking questions that look like they’re trying to understand, but actually it’s just a springboard to mocking people?

If you’re not trans, fine.

Why do you have to go out of your way to make lives miserable for those who are?

People’s lives are short enough.

I get this better than most people my age and I still have no idea what, say, a femme enby with both a masc and femme name is even about.

But then I remember that people my age thirty years ago literally could not wrap their head around the concept of something as simple as slam poetry over a break beat and what absolute morons they seemed to be for their strident denunciations of it. So I just let the kids do their thing.

And why wouldn’t they just pull up their pants?

It was all so confusing and threatening.

1 Like

It’s funny, when I was a kid I swore I’d never be that dense and reactionary when I was older but like every single one of us said that and maybe one out of a hundred at best actually kept that promise.

Old people be tripping. Karen, it’s hard to take your moralistic outrage seriously when I’ve watched you blow rails of Adderall off the top of a public toilet and have sex with a guy you just met in your car not so many years ago. Like when you were thirty one.

1 Like

Because the left doesn’t want to embarrass anyone by talking about sex. :wink:

That’s oxymoronic.

1 Like

^^^ Anybody else see the irony between the first sentence there and the rest of the post, or it just me? :wink:

1 Like

Anyone ever noticed Samm only cries about hurt feelings when it’s his feelings being hurt? I will never stop laughing at you calling me heartless because I wasn’t being nice enough to you after Trump lost and the Senate flipped. After five years of Trump cry moar lib chest beating nonsense.

Quote that, would you please? I have completely forgotten that incident as though it never happened. :wink:

Since you found it so memorable, it must have been great. You may want to use the same comment when Biden loses the House and the Senate next fall. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

So does the fact that he now has long hair and wears a different bathing suit make him a woman?

1 Like

Could you elaborate? Do men solve mathematical problems differently than women?

Who here is arguing that?

1 Like

Not a single conservative poster.

1 Like

:man_shrugging:

Easier to post links:

There are counter arguments out there too.

It’s not that complicated turtle. If gender rolls and gender expression are social constructs, then identification with a gender must be a social construct as well.