If "gender" is a social construct, then why use the term transgender?

If “gender” is a social construct how is it even possible for someone to feel like a “man” or a “woman”? Wouldn’t such feelings be based on the arbitrary social constructs developed in the unenlightened old fashioned world? Here’s a typical definition of “gender”:

"Gender refers to the characteristics of women, men, girls and boys that are socially constructed. This includes norms, behaviours and roles associated with being a woman, man, girl or boy, as well as relationships with each other. As a social construct, gender varies from society to society and can change over time."

If one accepts this explanation then is not the explanation and/or discussion of “transgender” pointless?

2 Likes

Yes. And?

Again. Yes. And?

No, not at all.

More than anything, it’s just a bunch of attention-seekers trying to convince everyone that they’re somehow special. Kids will lie and claim they’re some kind of LGABCDE soup because it makes them just a little edgier.

:person_shrugging:

4 Likes

If the concept of man & woman is arbitrary what exactly does it mean to “feel” like one is a woman?

1 Like

It means to feel like the arbitrary social construct.

Maybe you are confusing gender-roles, which are social constructs, with gender, which is biological.

If some man prefers conforming to feminine gender-roles, that does not make him a woman or female gender. It makes him an unconventional man of the male gender

2 Likes

I feel like an arbitrary social construct today.

2 Likes

Is it?

What is a “gender reveal” party?

Of course, in the context of linguistics, gender is not biological, since words do not have a biology.

It’s all pointless but the Woke Regressives seem determined to drag us backwards in the general direction of ancient Sodom and Gomorrah. :roll_eyes:

3 Likes

Why do you fear knowledge?

1 Like

I just avoid jumping down this rabbit hole there is no bottom.

hole-rabbit-hole

It’s not biology and they aren’t “revealing” body parts.

Gender is not biology.

It’s not knowledge; it’s narrative.

3 Likes

Me thinks you’re starting to realize how nonsensical this is. :wink:

In most contexts, if not all of them, sex is biological, gender is social. Sex and gender - Gender Matters

1 Like

Actually, it has developed two different meanings that conflict.

“I can’t claim to have produced an exhaustive account of the history of ‘gender’, but I’ve still found the exercise revealing. Knowing that the two competing senses have developed from different intellectual traditions (one sense has its roots in the social scientific study of human culture and behaviour, while the other is rooted in the theory and practice of clinicians working with gender-variant individuals) makes it easier to understand why they conflict in the ways they do. And the conflict is profound: if I use ‘gender’ to mean ‘a social status imposed on people by virtue of their sex’, and you use it to mean ‘an innate sense of identity linked to the sex of a person’s brain’ (a now-common understanding which derives from the medical tradition), we may be using the same word, but our conceptual frameworks have almost nothing in common (for instance, your ‘gender’ has a biological basis, whereas the defining feature of my ‘gender’ is that it doesn’t).”

The terms meaning is being changed by the progressive left for political reasons, to seduce children into disagreeing with straight-laced parents about their sexuality, and thus to move them away from trusting their parents towards choosing a greater allegiance toward the state who will approve of them satisfying almost any sexual impulse that arises in them.

Maybe we need to express our opinions on this without using the word gender at all. Otherwise we will simply devolve into a semantic debate about which conflicting definition is correct

How do they reveal the baby’s gender, if the baby’s gender is some internal sense it has of its conformity to or divergence from the local social construct it is not yet even aware exists?

does all it take to be “Male” a penis?
is there nothing else that define male identity in American society just reproductive parts.

let me ask you a simple question.

is being a man define solely by having a penis, is there nothing else you would view defines the male gender?