I love Dershowitzes new defense...lol

You fail to understand his argument. For it to be abuse of power as charged the reason it was done has to be “corrupt”, which generally refers to illegal, such as taking a bribe, politicians aren’t about to agree that considering whether or not one of their decisions will be good or bad for their election chances is a legally corrupt motive.

“technically not illegal”

No I get it.

For it to be corrupt, the intent has to be corrupt and if getting re-elected is for the good of the country then how could it be corrupt?

Perfect logic Libs!!!

3 Likes

No. It is a bad argument. It creates no situation. This is being overblown just as the request for an investigation of Biden was overblown.

Well I didn’t see the whole thing in context but, it wouldn’t surprise me if his argument was in regard to how it would effect your election being a corrupt motive if it was one of as opposed to the only reason you did something. I am going to doubt you will find many politicians willing to cede that it is an illegal and corrupt act to have it as one of the reasons as opposed to the sole reason.

In other words, it’s not enough to show a reason he acted was to favorably affect his election, you have to show it was the only reason.

Odd argument about what polls show people want when Schiff is arguing we need an impeachment because we can’t trust the voters to make the right decision.

If you didn’t see his whole argument in context, how can you claim we misunderstood it?

Here, I’ll be nice and give you the whole clip:

How can a very bad legal argument made in front of the Senate during an impeachment trial be “overblown” ?

You are commenting on how Libs didn’t get it without seeing the whole thing yourself?

Okay then.

2 Likes

Looks like he is in the middle of the argument when it begins to me, I saw this part.

Not at all. Last Saturday, Trump’s defense team said the House case was not proven because there was no direct evidence of Trump’s malfeasance. Then a witness emerged who is willing to provide that direct evidence of that malfeasance.

There have been two Republican arguments:

1. We don’t need to hear the evidence that yesterday we insisted was required.
  2. Whatever the evidence is, the fix is in to acquit so the insistence that evidence mattered was just a charade.

Its a cover-up plain and simple. The point of the polls is that the majority of Americans recognize its a cover-up but the Republican Senators are more interested in serving Trump than the people. Shameful.

Hey guys Dershowitz was just saying like if an action isn’t corrupt then its like not corrupt

1 Like

The logic here is that Trump believes his reelection is what’s best for the country, so therefore whatever he does to secure a second term is, by definition, in the national interest. That’s despite the fact that what he did was hold up US aid, approved by Congress, as leverage to get the investigation he wanted into former Vice President Joe Biden, his potential 2020 rival.

I grew up with guy who thought like that…That whatever he did there was a justification for it, and that meant he was never in trouble, never to blame, because a justification like this was always his way of calling foul when he would get in trouble either at home or at school.

He’s in Jail now.

2 Likes

It will fail in the Senate because Republicans are choosing power and party over country.

The reason the Democrats proceeded with impeachment was to make the necessary point that no POTUS should behave in the manner that Trump has, regarding the Quid Pro Quo. (also the fact the Justice Dept. Refused to look into the matter)

Politically, it is not necessarily a good move to go forward with the impeachment process, especially in an election year. But it was necessary to do so.

Otherwise, it would have set a precedent that type of behavior is acceptable for a POTUS.

It’s not

3 Likes

9VrsRNeA0SHcEeos1h

What part of that did you not understand?

And I was answering, expressing my thoughts to OP. Is that somehow a problem?

It’s obvious to any rational observer that Trump’s primary, and almost certainly sole, objective was to help his chances in the election.

The part where you were condemning libs for misunderstanding without seeing the whole thing yourself. I mean really wow, talk about an accusation without any basis.

Sure, just like it’s obvious that Burisma hiring Hunter was a bribe to get Biden to help them out.