"I haven't heard anything about testing being a problem"

After a time, testing will become more problematic. The reagent needed is running out world-wide. We haven’t seen anything yet.

I hadn’t heard that

I found them:

COVID-19 Testing at Laboratories FAQs

Reagents –

Master Mix Kits (rRT-PCR Enzyme Mastermix (TaqPath™ 1-Step RT-qPCR Master Mix, CG) – These kits contain the enzymes and other components needed to run the PCR test. (obtained from IRR)

Human Specimen Control (HSC) (obtained from IRR)

EUA Positive Control (obtained from IRR)

That is true. Generally you need at least two complicating factors to be at high risk of severe disease.

If you are grossly or morbidly obese and have pre diabetes syndrome or diabetes you fall into a higher risk category.

Still far below those of advanced age though who have complicating respiratory or cardiac issues.

Amid reagent shortage, state limits COVID-19 testing

Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt said Health Commissioner Gary Cox was in the middle of discussions with leaders of private testing labs to see if they can help Oklahoma.

“Across the state, we are critically low on our test kits. Or more specifically, the reagent,” Stitt said. “That’s the fluid that goes into making the swab positive or negative.”

Would the reagent have been something the CDC would have known about, and been prepared to address? I mean how many more common aspects of dealing with a pandemic didn’t the CDC prepare to address?

Okay, so we knew this back on March 18th. Did our feds address it? Is this the reagent WR says we are low on, or is there yet another one?

Like I said, I was wrong, I thought you could be better.

Sad.

Oh well, you might as well be good at the one thing.

Obesity was given as one of the high risk factors in determining more serious consequences for those who contract the coronavirus so I thought I would check to see how Italy, France and Spain rated relative to the USA in terms of obesity within each of the respective countries. Here is a link with the relevant data:

From the rankings it appears that the percentage of the population considered obese is significantly higher in the USA than in France, Italy and Spain.

Trump planning to golf soon?

https://www.salon.com/2020/04/03/secret-service-signs-45000-emergency-order-for-golf-carts-at-trump-club-amid-pandemic-report/

Testing and reported numbers are a complete joke.

We have a lady in my town (pop 70,000) who has tested positive. she is one of the “three” confirmed cases in town and she is home in isolation as she doesn’t need hospitalized. Her husband and four kids all have the exact same symptoms but they haven’t tested them as the doctors said there is no point, they most certainly have it too given the mom’s positive result and they don’t need hospitalization.

I completely understand and agree with the point of not testing them since it would be a waste of test kids and resources. What I don’t like is that my county keeps saying what a great job we are doing in keeping the numbers down, 3 total even though we are the 4th most populous county in the state, and some counties have hundreds. We obviously have many more than is being reported.

Edit: Now the mom is hospitalized and six of her immediate family members most certainly have it as well but aren’t being tested. Yet my county acts like we are doing so great because we only have 5 cases now (up since I originally posted this) even though this one family alone is more than that. Most of the 6 cases listed in the article being in our hospital come from surrounding counties and aren’t counted in our county numbers.

If they are being quarantined at home it really doesn’t matter.

By the time it’s over we’ll probably see a total infection rate of 60-90%.

All that will do is cause the morality rate to absolutely crater.