I Have a Question About Crime

That’s the issue with our current prison system. We do not rehabilitate. We punish while in prison and we punish them when they get out of prison.

If we are choosing not to give out life sentences for certain crimes, then those prisoners need a pathway to being productive citizens. If we aren’t going to do that then every who goes to prison should be there for life.

1 Like

They used to have them out in fields raising their own food(at the prisons) when i was a young man. Men standing around and on horse back with rifles to keep them from escaping.

4 Likes

On that note, society also needs to do more to promote trades and stop treating them like they’re somehow inferior to university.

7 Likes

Sending someone like a teenage car thief on his first offense upstate to get used and abused for 18-24 months is pretty damn sick.

90+% of all MMA competitors would be petty career criminals if not for the sport. It’s a trade skill. There needs to be more opportunities for all trade skills. It’s a needless void to have.

1 Like

That’s good and effective in my book, but I would go further and have them doing things that will get them an hourly wage on the outside. Teach them to respect themselves.

2 Likes

Is the mental health care system really that effective.

1 Like

The vast majority of all mental/medical issues is food-related.

1 Like

I think most people are onboard with this, if you ask. Our new public high school has a great program for the trades. And as I like to point out, both my main plumber and main electrician own swank summer homes. I do not.

3 Likes

Learning trades would be good too. I have an electrical/electronics trade that served me well for 40 years at one of those “evil” corporations. :wink:

The guys i saw in the fields was back in early 70s at the prison where they eventually filmed The Green Mile.

3 Likes

I went to school when shops were phased out of all the schools that I attended. It happened right before I was old enough to be in one of those classes too. It was one of the few things I was actually looking forward too in that cattle corral.

2 Likes

Prog’s are, for the most part, in charge of the cites and/or states with the worst violence against the people who reside and visit there. Being in charge includes both law enforcement and prosecution and punishment of offenders. You are not suggesting that vigilantism is the way to go, are you?

1 Like

You are misconstruing the fact that the police have no obligation to prevent crime with the fact that a visible police presence can and does reduce (which implies some are prevented) crimes in the areas where they are present. That’s a major gripe in many crime-ridden, low-income and minority neighborhoods … an obvious absence of uniformed police encouraging proliferation of drugs and crimes against people and property.

When I first bought my house, we were plagued with petty theft and even one break-in, by (we suspected) a group of low-lifes who lived in the neighborhood. Then a State Trooper bought the house next door and parked his cruiser in his driveway. All such crimes ceased immediately. :wink:

1 Like

The Trans Alaska Pipeline was welded together mostly by graduates of the Oklahoma State Prison System. :wink:

1 Like

Three cheers for Mike Rowe. :beers:

5 Likes

That’s appears to be reversing, e.g., https://www.washingtonpost.com/education/2021/12/31/skilled-trade-education-comeback/

2 Likes

an armed society is a polite society - Heinlein .

2 Likes

Your don’t think that a police presence in a neighborhood is a deterrent to crime? Imagine two neighborhoods identical in every way but one. One has an active police force and the other has no police. Do you believe that they would have the same amount of crime?

1 Like

A good ass whopin’

1 Like

Compare our recidivism rate, to other countries that do not treat their inmates like dogs.

ie Norway…about 20% recidivism rate USA recidivism rate about 75%