I Have a Question About Crime

Day late and a dollar short for the largest generation in American history.

Good on some areas for getting back to basics.

1 Like

That’s part of it. A robust social safety net probably doesn’t hurt either.

1 Like

Depending on crime I don’t thin they should be released ever…ever.

And I’m talking about arm robbery as well. Or at least minimal 20 year sentence.

Rape…never see freedom again.

Murder…if it’s not justifiable they never see freedom again.

No matter how you help them, if they relapse someone is raped or killed.

1 Like

Putting more people into the prison industrial complex would grow it, not shrink it, so adding people to the system would worsen one of the problems put forth in the OP.

1 Like

Obviously not.

I couldn’t agree more.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/amp/Funeral-to-start-in-death-of-Harris-County-17065645.php

Can you expound on this please.

Why?
…

What percentage do you believe can be rehabilitated?

1 Like

I am all for rehabilitation for those that can be. Which means if they can be rehabilitated and let out on a first term offense they should be helped by the state to find a job whereas many felons cannot with that on their record.

However when it clearly becomes a situation of a repeat offender regular functioning citizens shouldn’t be shouldered with the extra risk of these individuals on the street.

I don’t know if we are still feeling the effects, but the decline in crime began when state after state began enacting 3-strikes laws.

Tht was what? 30 years ago? I have to imagine there is more at work than just that one factor, but that’s where the decline began.

1 Like

Also, we did this lock 'em up and throw away the key shtick. Anybody remember the 90’s crime bill?

Yes. And that seems to be exactly when violent crime rates started dropping. I find it hard to believe that one bill caused all this goodness all these years later so I imagine other factor are involved
(aging baby boomers? switch in drugs from crack to something else? I dunno.

Obviously it was good law. Obviously it worked, but I cannot imagine that one bill had this much positive impact

1 Like

My question to progs and crits is: What is the outcome of all of this?

Where do you see us ending up?

Well, as has been pointed out several times in the thread, there are multiple factors at play here. To try to isolate it to a single thing is a fool’s errand.

1 Like

There are very few similarities between American society and Norwegian society. It’s a fools game to attempt to make a point by comparing something with so many variables like the recidivism rate between the two countries.

2 Likes

Yeah, yeah, yeah. America is so super awesome, we can’t or shouldn’t look elsewhere for better ideas.

2 Likes

I didn’t say anything about one country or then other being better or worse than the other.

Just putting this out there:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/facing-massive-crime-waves-california-cities-spent-covid-relief-funds-on-police/ar-AAW15DL?li=BBnb7Kz

3 Likes