Hundreds of teens destroy a family fun park in Memphis

He was twelve. I was eighteen and had been on my own for like three years at that point. My mother was not a nice person. And yeah, it was that or the system. One of my aunts and one of my uncles said they’d help and then never returned my phone calls.

Tough to watch my friends today raising teenagers and making the same kind of stupid mistakes I did with my brother when I was young and crazy and clueless and believe in the mystical power of “when you have a kid, you just know.”

Good on you for doing the right thing.

I have to tell you though, until you have a child you cannot ever understand the bond and it does supersede that of siblings.

Same here, but remembering it also recalls the embarrassments, and angers, and humiliations associated with the time, and most people understandably want to part ways with what is no more. I personally feel like I need to remember if I’m going to break my family cycle and get the kids on a higher level.

1 Like

Unfortunately there are many people who have children not for reasons you cite, especially for those who not married.

Feel you. I try not to lose the drive that got me out of the ghetto either. The fact that I might not make it out never even occurred to me back then. I didn’t get all self reflective and emotional about that ■■■■ until I was if not bougie, at least solidly blue collar.

I think we can see that demonstrated by the article in the OP as well as those out in the streets right now.

Sad, but that is the way it is.

Fortunately, I don’t think that is the majority. Just the squeaky wheels getting the grease. For now. :wink:

Yes you will.

Well said.

It’s been ten years. Still makes no sense. Having kids doesn’t mean you weren’t a little jerk like pretty much every teenager is.

Speak for yourself.

Maybe it was that way in your circle of life.

It shouldn’t be, though.

What we see in that video is abject feral savagery.

Absolutely many of us did. And we didn’t smash up anyone’s lobby.

1 Like

I don’t know about you I would say it was 95-5 on the good side when I was unsupervised by a parent at that age.

Got into some of the early teen mischief, but everyone did.

Things are about the same nowadays except less unsupervised time.

So the mischief is condensed.

Allan

The older we get the more our childhood starts resembling an episode of Father Knows Best…

Sure. There’s being a jerk, and then there’s this. I had respect for other people’s property and knew not to throw temper tantrums at 5.

Here’s another video that shows some more detail of the behavior:

Isn’t a wheel squeaking evidence for the need to grease?

Depends on the wheel. Some need to be replaced as grease is just a temporary fix.

Another ■■■■■■■■■ peaceful protest?

Yea I did but me and the others I hung with were brought up to respect others property and not tear ■■■■ up. If I did that my ass would be grass when my dad found out.