How likely is it that we will simply have to learn to live with this virus like we do with the flu?

It’s like the measles. You’ll see hot spots flare up among the unvaccinated, among the vaccinated not so much.

Allan

I agree. Herd immunity is key.

Allan

[quote=“FloridaYankee, post:40, topic:237927, full:true”]

There have been a lot of democrats and Rinos in positions of power in states since Jan 2019 that have destroyed their economies. Have you been asleep.

1 Like

Not likely since it’s not endemic. Once this outbreak comes to an end and we’ve reached herd immunity it will be like the flu, it might arise again in Asia and then we’ll prepare for it for the upcoming cold and flu season just like we do for the flu in the future.

So in your world, having ICU wards filled to near capacity with COVID patients like is going on in California and other states is something we should simply live with?

Wow…just wow.

ICU wards not filled to near capacity are a financial black hole for hosptials.

If they aren’t filling them with Covid patients they’ll find other patients to fill them.

We’ve not yet come close to running out of capacity to treat covid patients anywhere.

The excess emergency capacity we created proved to be a pointless waste of millions of dollars because it went unutilized.

1 Like

Bay Area ICU capacity hits dangerous low | KRON4

Cases up, ICU capacity down as COVID thrives in California | abc10.com

Here’s a look at ICU capacity in California: Where the 5 regions stand (kcra.com)

How much more news do you want?

What do you think you’re showing us exactly?

ICU’s have to run at near capacity all the time just to keep running.

1 Like

Not true at all. The biggest money maker for hospitals is non emergency procedures.

The kind of stuff they can’t do when hospitals are overflowing with coronavirus patients.

You should read what I actually wrote.

I thought you were saying ICU’s keep full to make money.

They can’t be full like they are now. You need an ebb and flow in order to handle other stuff like the pileup on the highway on the south side of town.

The flu doesn’t do this, because we have effective treatments and a vaccine. We just got a vaccine for covid, and to the best of my knowledge, there isn’t much in the way of treatments either.

Not to this extent at all.

Except we’re still being vaccinated for the H1N1 virus annually? Err I mean 100 years?

I did. ICU’s are not the entire hospital but they are in most hospitals the single most expensive part of the hospital to operate on a per bed basis.

Below 90% capacity they are losing money.

More importantly only about 10% of those hospitalize with covid will ever be sent to the ICU.

1 Like

LOL…ICU’s don’t make money.

Here’s why: Emergency rooms are required by law to take every patient that comes in the door, whether they have a way to pay for it or not. A lot of those emergency patients end up in the ICU.

Here’s what makes hospitals money: Non emergency procedures. They can refuse patients for inability to pay, and they do all the time.

When your ICU isn’t overflowing with covid patients, you can use the rest of your hospital to do other stuff that makes up for the losses in the ICU.

When your ICU is full constantly, then you need to make more room. That means stuff that makes money gets cancelled.

This is not normal.

2 Likes

ICU’s are the most expensive to operate on a per bed basis because of the intensive care they provide.

Only serious trauma cases go from the ER to the ICU and almost all of them will go to surgery first.

The only way to keep ICU’s from becoming a financial black hole is to keep them at or above 90% occupancy.

2 Likes

The Bay Area, where I live, is getting slammed. Down to 0.07% open ICU beds as of last week.

In our area the Holiday bump is over and vaccine is rolling out.

1 Like

Govt will never give back power they never do. Looks like the lock downs and masks don’t do much as Cal and NY prove, but you know they won’t end them.

A mask is like trying to catch a fly with a fishing net…

But Obey… anyway.

2 Likes

I am seeing a notable relaxing of the mask wearing with the vaccine arrival.

I am OK with it.

It will fade and by June it will be a personal choice, except for maybe indoor events and air and bus travel.

it is a certainty. with vaccination and treatment it will as i said long ago become “the lessor flu”