How likely is it that we will simply have to learn to live with this virus like we do with the flu?

And here I was thinking you were one of those people who thought they should. :stuck_out_tongue:

Oh no! Faces are one of the main ways we communicate. I donā€™t want a single boy to miss a shy smile from a girl.

Itā€™s already the new normal. Face masks arenā€™t optional even after the vaccine. Theyā€™ve been successful instilling fear in at least half the country. Got us tattling on each other for non-compliance. Their worst nightmare is a vaccine or treatment that works well enough to put all this behind us. Iā€™m sure the fear will be engineered to fit their desire to further erode our freedoms.

True. I was more thinking along the lines of keeping them from saying stupid things.

Kids are supposed to say some stupid things, the rest of it is their parentsā€™ fault.

1 Like

What I want to know is, at what point will it be ok to catch Covid without everyone going into panic mode and wanting to shut everything down? You know, like the flu is treated. After the vaccine? But I wonā€™t mind if my job continues the practice of taking two weeks off with pay.

1 Like

Did your analysis show you that almost all of these states that had mask mandates, also at some time before cases skyrocketed they opened up bars and restaurants to capacity or almost to capacity and relaxed other measures that were in place?

How come you donā€™t cite Republican states like Florida or Texas or North or South Dakota to ask why the virus is out of control there. Or is this just to point the finger of blame at Democrat states?

Finally, and honestly. The only variants that will create problems are those that somehow create a change in the RNA strands of the protein in the spike on the virus. As long as the spike protein stays relatively consistent, the vaccine will still work.

You have to understandā€¦the vaccine does not irradicate the whole virusā€¦just the spike protein that makes up the spikes.

For NJ itā€™s only 25% capacity, furthermore according to what Iā€™ve read and heard thatā€™s not where the majority of the cases are happening:

Restaurants and bars accounted for 1.43 percent of COVID-19 cases recorded between September through the end of November, according to contact tracing data.

Are you implying that the time of year had nothing to do with the massive spike in cases?

2 Likes

Thatā€™s because in general Republican states have had more laxed regulations than blue states. Iā€™m fully aware that the virus is pretty much out of control in most if not all states. If youā€™ve read my previous threads regarding the spikes happening in NJ (my state) not once do I blame Governor Murphy.

Same everywhere.

Iā€™m no expert on vaccines or viruses, all Iā€™m doing is hypothesizing that in a big sociological setting we may see something similar to this (from my previous link):

Because flu viruses mutate constantly and the vaccine wears off over time, you canā€™t get vaccinated once and expect to be covered for years, as you can with other diseases. The vaccine must be changed each year, in hopes of matching the ever-mutating viruses. And thatā€™s been a challenge. On average, itā€™s been 40% effective, meaning itā€™s prevented illness 40% of the time. Since health officials started tracking it in 2003, effectiveness has varied from year to year, ranging from a low of 10% in 2004-05 to a high of 60% in 2010-11.

Are you saying that this will absolutely NOT be the case with the COVID vaccines and COVID virus?

No I am not. It has had a significant impact.

Iā€™m not saying that it absolutely wonā€™t be the caseā€¦but AGAINā€¦this is not an influenza virus. It is a corona virusā€¦they are vastly different. And as I saidā€¦as long as the spike proteins do not mutate drastically. Itā€™s very likely that the vaccine remains effective.

The vaccine in Great Britain is still having strong effect on the new variant there. However, the jury is still out on this African Variant now showing up around the world. Time will tell.

Not very likely at all. We now have vaccines and this virus doesnā€™t mutate in the same way flu viruses do so once we attain herd immunity we should be fine.

Agree.

Nope but while in the Ukraine I have seen it on the menu in several restaurants.

Carp is or at least used to be a staple in Europe.

Most of the generic ā€œfishā€ you will eat there is carp.

I completely agree.

Still on the menu in the Ukraine.

Already? Dang that was quick, Biden hasnā€™t even taken office! :rofl: