How do you have an impeachment trial without a judge?

Not required. That would be between the Senate and the Chief Justice to examine the question and determine if he is needed during a trial for someone impeached as President but is an Ex-President at trial.
.WW

So the constitution is just a suggestion?

The constition is CLEAR. Impeachment of the president requires the chief justice to preside.

1 Like

Impeachment is not a Bill of Attainder and is specifically called for in the Constitution.
.WW

It is required. It is the trial for the impeachment of a President. The Constitution clearly states who shall preside in such cases.

They don’t get to have it both ways.

2 Likes

That’s your opinion, you are welcome to have it.

But reality might be different.
.WW

As is the Chief Justice presiding in cases of impeachment of a President.

They screwed this up.

Under what authority does the Senate try a non-office holder?

I believe they can try President Trump as the conclusion of the process.

But Roberts has to preside.

I don’t blame him for punting this one.

Where is post defacto in the constition? Please and thank you.

House indictment is for the president of the united states. Senate trial is for that indictment. Constutional MUST be followed.

They delegitimized the process.

It is not “my opinion”. If it is an impeachment of a President, Roberts shall preside. If it is not, what is it?

Yes and the impeachment article is for the president of the united states – and the person names DJT

I do.

Really?

If he is NOT being tried as the president of the united states . . . the house needs to pass a new article of impeachment and send it to the senate.

1 Like

I don’t, the constitution is crystal clear, he shall only preside when a President is tried and its just plain fact, Joe Biden is President, not Donald Trump. Direct your ire where it belongs, democrats holding a show trial under the guise of an impeachment.

2 Likes

Saying what?

when there’s an impeachment over someone who has already left office you can be sure the LAST thing they care about is the people

2 Likes

We don’t care if the constitution says we may not do so because it would be a bill of attainder?

No clue.

But if they are not doing a trial for the president of the united states (as the resulution states), then they need a new resolution from the house.

He was impeached while he was the President. The trial is the conclusion of the process.

Roberts has a duty to preside.

1 Like

Does the House have impeachment jurisdiction on any grounds other than he was holding public office? Can the House impeach me?

Someone needs to turn down the temperature.

Higher duty.