How can someone not know what a garbage disposal is?

This caught my eye, place I found it there were comments trying to figure out it if was satire or not. Yes it involves a politician, but it’s not political . . .

Now I’ve been living in apartments since the 1980’s. I can think of maybe one that didn’t have a garbage disposal . . . and that two rooms had been converted into an apartment.

“OK everyone I need your help because I just moved into this apartment a few months ago and I just flipped a switch and it made that noise and it scared the daylights out of me,”

I mean even a 3 room studio apartment I lived in (kitchen/dining room, bedroom/living room, bathroom) had a garbage disposal in it.

“I am told this is a garbage disposal. I’ve never seen a garbage disposal. I never had one in any place I’ve ever lived,”

Maybe it’s an out West thing. Maybe they are not as prevalent in the East. But really? Not knowing what a garbage disposal is???

Why is this an issue? Very few people use garbage disposal anymore, especially here in LA.
This might help explain the ignorance.

https://www.citylab.com/environment/2017/08/garbage-disposals-new-york/538581/

In the 1970s, officials in New York City banned in-sink kitchen garbage disposals over concerns about aging sewer systems and discharge of raw organic refuse into nearby rivers.

City officials lifted the ban on garbage disposers in 1997. Twenty years later, though, their adoption is slower here than almost anywhere else in the country. Why are New Yorkers so reluctant to install garbage disposers—and what’s at stake if we continue to dispose all of our trash curbside?

This is why it was in this sub forum. Here in Utah, it’s hard to find a place without a garbade disposal. Places I lived in Arizona and New Mexico also had them.

I lived in NYC for 22 years, and never saw an in-sink garbage disposal anywhere in the city.

I get it, but why criticize this young lady for not knowing about garbage disposals? My nephews don’t know what it is or have seen one in person.

I didn’t have one either when I lived in NYC.

I will give A.O.C. a pass on this, as per previous comment and link. I don’t give her a pass on very much, but I will give her on this. :smile:

Having lived almost exclusively on properties with septic systems, I have always had garbage disposers, but I have been extremely anal retentive on any and everything that goes down into them.

Certain things are allowed down the disposal, but much stuff goes to compost.

And never be cheap when buying a disposal. Splurge for the high power one. :smile:

The real question is, how does she dispose of expired fancy mustard if she doesn’t know what a garbage disposal is?

AHA - GOTCHA, LIBERALS!!!

5 Likes

Maybe 1/4 of the places I have lived, did not. My grandmother never had one installed, or even use a dishwasher. Many people are like that.

A garbage disposal, while helpful, is far from essential or universal.

Every place I’ve ever lived has had one. I guess I’m the reverse AOC, I didn’t think there were kitchen sinks without them.

oh my god

she is a child

2 Likes

Some of us don’t live in the boonies.
https://www.citylab.com/environment/2017/08/garbage-disposals-new-york/538581/

In the 1970s, officials in New York City banned in-sink kitchen garbage disposals over concerns about aging sewer systems and discharge of raw organic refuse into nearby rivers.

City officials lifted the ban on garbage disposers in 1997. Twenty years later, though, their adoption is slower here than almost anywhere else in the country. Why are New Yorkers so reluctant to install garbage disposers—and what’s at stake if we continue to dispose all of our trash curbside?

ok so we’re going defend her idiocy by showing that some people have disposals and some don’t?

Almost no one in NYC has a garbage disposal. I never saw one in the 22 years I lived there.

NYC banned them in 1970, and didn’t make them legal again until 1997.

She’s an idiot. NYC laws or not, doesn’t explain her ignorance or her idiotic comments.

These are the people leading our country.

2 Likes

I’ve only seen one in my entire life (50 years old) and I live in LA. Most homes built after 1980 don’t have those things installed.

shes stunningly dingbat

imagine if sarah palin tweeted or said this. i’m sure leftist would be like “whoa now her city didn’t allow them”

be a retard tho its cool your’re a class envy communist who does nothing but play race cards

1 Like

OAC is not an old hag like Palin.

1 Like

yet i bet if you did see one you would know what it was.

mmkay