How big of a deal is attendance at places of worship in restarting the economy?

Romney brought religion into his decision making. Here is his formal statement:

Did you know he was not always pro-life?

Mitt opened himself up to further criticism to include his deep faith in God as partial rationale.

Impeachment is a political exercise.

Here some more information on the good Senator and his family:

Glad to hear your take being concerns on Pope’s are economic and political.

I know of no Catholic churches in the USA holding in-person masses. Can’t speak for other denominations. But USCCB (US Catholic Bishops) have all directed not to hold public mass in their respective diocese.

Churches are open for individuals to visit in the sanctuaries. Not all, and I don’t know the proportion of parishes doing this. But it’s easy to find one in any area that is open. Come in. Sit down. Pray before the tabernacle. Nod a greeting to the other person sitting across the aisle. But no mass.

Maybe the difference is what a Catholic mass actually is.

I’m a Missouri Synod Conservative Lutheran, I always have religious differences with “The Church”. :grin:

I have no doubt he’s a good man who wants the best for humanity but politically and economically he’s a hypocrite.

With this, I fully agree.

However I land on the side of saying he needs to shut up about political things and stick to maintaining the faith and moral teachings of the Catholic Church, rather than selling off St. Peter’s Basilica.

What I’m seeing are small family groups, not even 10 people in a church that will seat 300 or more.

Still seem to be holding confession as well.

I considered him out of line when he did that. Ditto Pelosi.

( and ditto Trump! )

I completely agree.

He and Trump have something in common, self inflicted wounds.

Remember how some here wanted to trash him over pushing away the kook a few months back?

In light of this outbreak it’s not him looking like a fool.

But are they actually masses?

I know my diocese (and I suspect most others as well) has also ended PRIVATE masses as well. (When the directive went out to stop public masses, my first thought was that it still allowed for private masses. If it’s in the church sanctuary, it’s a public mass. But why not have a priest come to someone’s home to do a mass for 8 people? But it wasn’t long before the clarification followed saying the directive stops private mass too.)

Very true. And those are being done at a minimum of 6 feet apart between the priest and the penitent.

Interesting article here; showing Pope Francis’s has attempted financial reforms but like anything political there is internal opposition from an old guard.

They are taking communion so as far as I understand Catholic Doctrine that is considered to be “Mass” isn’t it?

No argument there but cleaning up their questionable banking procedures has nothing with redistributing wealth and tearing down their own walls/borders.

On those two points he remains a hypocrite.

I’m surprised at that.

Communion is available without a mass. Ministers of the Eucharist bring communion to shut-ins all the time (though maybe not so much under COVID guidelines.) And there have always been communion services in the absence of a priest. These are not masses. But again, I would be surprised that even these are happening in the churches as they are definitely a gathering, and certainly a public gathering.

I’m not saying they are not happening, mind you. I’m just saying I’m surprised if they actually are. They violate the spirit (if not the actual directives themselves) of what the USCCB put out.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

Our equivalent is Communion which is always administered by the Pastor whenever possible butt occasionally given to the dying by an elder/voter designee.

Right. And distribution can be a vector of spreading the virus. That’s why USCCB called for an end to such services. And why I’m surprised that a diocese (or even an individual pastor) is letting something like that occur.

Thought this article goes a long way into the complexities of Pope Francis’s views of redistributing wealth:

1 Like

Only if you share the same cup or the wafers are handled improperly.

He keeps telling the developed word to redistribute their wealth to the poor nations of the earth and to open their borders.

Those two points are hard to escape.

In Catholic rubrics, every host is manually handled by the one distributing it (Pastor, Deacon, Priest, Minister of the Eucharist.) There is no getting around that. Which is part of the reason why USCCB’s directive bans it for now.