How big of a deal is attendance at places of worship in restarting the economy?

The elderly have been traditionally among those who regularly attend weekly services. The most loyal and active church goers among adults in America are in fact “liberal” Protestant tradition bands such as Anglicans, including members of Methodist and Presbyterian groups.

Very interesting that Trump seems to also be appealing to many who did not vote for him in last election out of this large group.

And here is an interesting survey: according to 2018 American General 72% of American adults self-identify as Christians vs only 5% are affiliated with religions other than Christianity. Furthermore, 78% are “Religious none’s” meaning they do not typically attend church at all. 22% only attend church once a year (either Christmas or Easter).

One fringe benefit that might still yet emerge as a result of this pandemic is wider spread use of virtual church?

I imagine, if a paradigm shift transpires here, Trump will like credit for that as well…

Those offering plates aren’t gonna fill themselves.

Imagine home delivery subscriptions including plates of sacred bread delivered on a set schedule?

Come to think of it, donations asked to sign up beforehand for home delivery might work.

And creating jobs for congregation members in the process, attending church in person themselves.

Maybe even outlets like uber eats or grubhub will be driving divine intervention at play here…

Some people are introverted, others are extroverted. Some need to be alone, some need human company.

As a matter of principle I refuse to put money in the plate as its passed round at church.

As a kid I always remember a sermon given which was basically a bitch fest by the priest about the Diminishing amounts of money being contributed. Unemployment back home was at its highest in decades, my dad was out of work as were most of my friends parents and even then I thought how it was a bit galling a priest who lived in a house provided by the church with no real financial responsibilities and no wife or kids to support was asking my mum and dad for money.

That side of the Catholic church has always pissed me off.

1 Like

Zero.

getting them open asap is to help deal with lingering fear and anxiety American are feeling.

What you relate has to be the exception. I’ve attended Catholic churches all around the country and do you know how often a priest talks about money? Once a year. And many of them hate to do it then, and hand it off to a member of the parish council.

1 Like

As I said this happened to me as kid but it left a lasting impression with me.

The Vatican is one of the richest organizations and largest landlords in the world. They dont need to be soliciting money from their congregations.

I am a practicing Catholic and detest the wealth the church has amassed and covets.

Are you equally familiar with the charities and works your own congregation does in the parish and diocese? Perhaps you are a volunteer in one of these many ministries. And are you knowledgeable of the work the Vatican also does for the poor and how much ‘wealth’ is distributed in these places.

Along with wealth, Vatican City is also a place of great inspiration for many. It is a matter of balancing the poor who we always have with us, and places where the weary might rest at the feet of Jesus. Naturally, some Papacies are better at this than others, but the majority at least put forth great effort.

If you are a practicing Catholic, then I am sure you are familiar with the various ways Catholics can support the Body of Christ as well as those in need. Time. Talent. Treasure. Coming from poorness myself, our contributions mostly fell into the time and talent aspects. No one in Church–especially not the priests and sisters–made any of us feel any less welcome or inferior.

I am sorry for your own experience and it is a shame that happened to anyone–let alone an entire parish! Was their building going on at the time? I do know that always puts a strain on parishes trying to refurbish their church or build a school.

I have been to Vatican City and its gaudy wealth appalls me.

I can be a Catholic and be critical of them. The church needs no help in refurbishing a building or buidling a school.

This is how they have amassed so much wealth by creating this lie you have to give to them.

Shrug. I have no need of wealth (fortunately :wink: )–but nor does it appall me. It is like being mad at a famous (and therefore valuable) painting simply because it has the misfortune for people to call that someone (with wealth) buy it and give the proceeds to the poor. But then, I am more in favor of a hand up than a hand out.

Fair enough, i just have a problem with anyone getting rich off preaching the word of God.

I’m sure churches will find a way to raise money.

We are the Church. We will do it. Many of us are still contributing.

If anything Church attendance will go up as it typical during and post disasters.

You can’t separate Hope and Faith among believers.

Agreed.

Here is an interesting article on Pope Francis who earns no actual salary, albeit has travel, room and board included. Also believe he receives a monthly pension of $2,500 Euro’s; about the same as US maximum social security retirement benefits these days for our new retiree’s.

1 Like

Here is an example of a man contributing his time and know how to make his place of worship safer.

1 Like

Opening places of worship will have a minimal effect on restarting the economy.

That’s the initial question of the thread.

In terms of the economy, what churches do they continue to do – and have continued to do during the shutdown, even with diminished donations during the shutdown. At least where I live, most churches (of various denominations) have retained their staffing. They continue to run their food banks (more needed than ever). They live stream their services. Pastors visit the sick and dying.

And even all that is not a driver of the economy. But not all things in society are about the economy.

In addition, where I live, the church is open most of every day for individuals to stop by for prayer and adoration. Naturally, readings are available in the books, and each week a written homily is supplied as well.

Obviously, the media has not stopped by the Catholic church where I live. The doors are open daily.