How Big Government and Big Labor Colluded to Get VW to Unionize

Leave it to Safiel to be a Debbie Downer, but somebody has to be.

National Review just came out with a good take on VW’s recent lamentable unionization in Chattanooga and experience tells us that the workers in that plant will eventually lament their vote.

Unlike the previous unionization drive, VW, under EXTREMELY heavy government pressure, remained neutral during this drive, which is a sure path to ruin.

VW’s Pennsylvania facility was unionized in 1978. It closed in 1987 after much turmoil.

I doubt the Chattanooga facility will even make it the same 9 years.

I advise the union workers in Chattanooga to use some of their new wages on education and new skills. Your going to need it.

2 Likes

In my opinion, there’s no point in electing Democrats if they don’t do at least that much. The party has to bet on the ideal of an empowered working class, otherwise they’re worthless.

2 Likes

Robotics easily can out perform and out produce any union worker. More cost efficient and no need for medical benefits, paid vacations, maternity leaves or union dues

1 Like

When I think about how long equipment stayed broken at previous jobs, I can’t feel threatened by expensive machine replacements.

Extrapolating out the time it takes to fix a dock light or get a pallet jack–the robot labor takeover is like…40,000 years away.

The secret sauce is artifical intelligence.

As 3D printing technology advance and mature, will produce in house widgets, fasteners etc as needed thus eliminating supply line and inventory replenishment.

Amazon already uses primitive robotics and the human overseers are struggling to keep pace.

Tesla claim to use robotics but dont know to what extent.

A dock light or pallet jack does not produce anything thus there is no loss of production when it breaks. At my previous jobs, no line machine was down for long, as soon as it was reported down, maintenance was on scene working to get it back up.

You are trying to compare income producing equipment to a freaking light bulb. HUGE fail

I had forgot about the New Stanton VW plant. That is exactly what happened.

Robots can’t do everything.

Some things yes. Some no and you need people to keep those robots going too.

Yeah they built Rabbits (American Golfs) there.

Unless you bought a Rabbit convertible with the GTI engine. Those were built in Germany. They were also substantially different than their hatchback cousins. They had the Golf interior instead of the Rabbif interior (higher quality materials used and their design was similar to the late 70s Golfs) and the GTI engine was of higher output compared to the Rabbit GTI Hatche’s detuned North American version.

So if you were in the 80s and smart and wanted a Rabbit, you bought a convertible and specced the 2.0L engine. Cause they were actually built with care.

1 Like

By the way don’t they build Tiguans at Chattanooga?

When the government gets involved in business, that usually means bad results due to it’s ill thought out ideas.

2 Likes

You don’t think that the plant is already automated as much as possible?

My brother has worked as a manager for Ford assembly plants his entire adult life.

Even in the new plants he characterizes Ford Motor Company as a Robot Repair company.

I think that they will be fine.

Unions of the 70’s are not the same as Unions of the 2020’s

1 Like

i never regretted joining a union, mainly because my company was pro union, negotiated in good faith. never struck in 37 years.

depends on the company involved. not the workers.

the union vote happened because the workers were displeased with the company and the way they handled things. end of story.

Allan

i can vouch for that. some of the old timers at work, talked about wildcat strikes of the 1970s. it was a turbulent time for union members, now notsomuch.

Allan

1 Like

I lived through a strike last year.

There is a possibility for a strike this year… but it is looking like both sides are more interested in hashing out a deal than being adversarial.

We will know in June.

Yeah…around that time in 1970, there were steel workers and automobile production in Detroit, Flint Michigan, Pittsburg steel workers and so many more jobs across the nation in manufacturing but …now…notsomuch.

1 Like

Unions got greedy in the 70s. My grandad was in a strike at that time. He always had a second job; building cabinets. So he just did that while the strike was ongoing. What’s funny is that all of it was really for nothing. Union and management decided to restore the status quo antebellum. So nobody got anything.

Outsourcing. Asian steel from South Korea and Taiwan was dramatically cheaper. It killed American steel.

1 Like

Capital can cross international boundaries where labor cannot.

3 Likes