How Big Government and Big Labor Colluded to Get VW to Unionize

…combined with our government did not hold the manufacturing pollution standards as a requirement before it could then be brought into the US. IOW…the government cheated American manufacturing.

they could not pollute the cuyahoga river willy nilly as manufacturing companies had done before the Clean water act.

the govt didnt cheat the companies, they cleaned the river.

Allan

2 Likes

The question in TN is whether Volkswagen will stay or pack up and go elsewhere.

1 Like

SWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSH!!!

I would say the fat cats who owned the means of production lobbied their favorite politicians for favorable terms and went to Asia to get iron. It was so much cheaper so they made way more money.

The world we have now, the sick marriage between international bourgeois and governments, blew the hell up in the 70s. They were scared of the revolutionary activity that came out of organized workers. So they said let’s go to Asia where the people are docile and these governments will literally pay us to set up shop. To get the government in on it they lobbied politicians. And politicians are voracious eaters who easily took it.

1 Like

They could move Tiguan production back to Germany. Weirdly enough it would probably become a better car for it although it would suck for the workers at Chattanooga.

Why doesn’t VW make new microbus with 4WD?

Make it a hybrid if possible.

They couldn’t build them fast enough.

isnt VW unionized in Germany?

Allan

No problem here. VW will wait until the time comes to modernize, or replace the facility. They will do a cost analysis, including labor, and probably decide to spend their money to build a new plant in a Northern Mexico location rather than upgrade the current one.

3 Likes

It is but German auto workers are a whole different breed of worker than American auto workers.

Americans wouldn’t tolerate their work schedule and work expectations for long. It’s part of what killed VW in Pennsylvania. They were trying to run it like a German plant. And that backfired horribly on them.

When the Japanese came over, they made it a point to set the plants up to an American standard rather than the absurdly high standards of Japanese plants. It’s why the Lexus LS literally can’t be built in an American plant. American workers would never tolerate what those Japanese workers go through at the LS Plant.

What assembly plants do you think are not modernized?

Pretty much everything that can be done by a robot is already done by a robot.

There’s still a lot of hands on work at auto plants. All the rework for mistakes for example is usually done by hand. And unless it’s changed recently doors are still put on by hand. The robot lowers the door into position and a worker bolts everything to hold it on by hand. With the help of an air actuated cordless impact wrench.

The choice to modernize an existing plant, or build a new plant somewhere else, moving the production and associated jobs, is always a part of the cost analysis. If you think otherwise history is full of examples across the entire automotive industry. Companies deciding to build new plants, in locations with lower labor costs, and closing the older factory is nothing new. The money will be spent either way, but the long term analysis of which move is more cost efficient will determine if a plant gets upgraded, or closed.

2 Likes

Aren’t you voting for this by voting for Biden?

The whole time I owned my 1985 Plymouth Horizon,

I wished it was the Volkswagen Rabbit. :rofl:

3 Likes

There are some things that robots still can’t do… and they break down quite a bit.

Even Tesla had to scale back the amount of automation at their plants because it was slower than using people to do the job.

1 Like

To be fair Rabbits were hella overpriced back then.

If I was alive at that time, I’d get a Honda CRX. Significantly cheaper, way more reliable, and the modding community for that car was HUGE in the 1980s.

Or… maybe these companies can stop dumping billions into stock buybacks and actually pay their laborers a fair wage.

1 Like

Or hell even use the money to do better engineering and source higher quality parts.

Why do 90,000 Tahoes have ■■■■ on them that was built on the bottom dollar. Actually invest in the workers and the plants.

1 Like

And don’t forget that VW had the unforced error of illegally changing the emissions standards on their diesel cars… that cost them a lot of money that could have gone to paying labor.

1 Like