How bad are things getting in New York?

and rising fast

Is using year to year statistics after continuous decrease in crime rates the best way to show how bad its getting?

Are the crime rates worse or better than where they were 10 years ago?

8 years after his mayoralty ended….

That’s true but the distortion is exacerbated by the fact that over 50% of murders are committed by one race that only makes up 13% of the population. If you make the attempt to address this, statistically, it will appear to be racist. So which comes first…the chicken or the egg?

You are trying to justify it with profiling but that not how terry stops work

You’re right…so let’s let it go in the name of not being racist and allow murders to continue. The reality is though, those being murdered most often, are black too. So which is more racist, doing something or doing nothing?

Doing something would be rolling back bail reform. After stop and frisk was found unconstitutional overall crime continued to drop….

The homeless problem has gotten pretty bad and it is a failure of successive administrations to be able to address it. DiBlasio was absent on the issue and when the pandemic hit… it only made it worse.

2 Likes

It was much worse in the 90’s

And the solutions of housing them in luxury hotels was a ridiculous stop gap to get them off the streets for optics purposes

The most expensive way to deal with it. But it did lead to a cottage industry of small motels being built in the outer Boroughs… there are about a dozen weirdly placed motels in my neighborhood

Which is why DiBlasio got elected. He did end it… but man was he a disappointment on just about everything else. Had high hopes for that guy.

I don’t think that you can roll back bail reform too much until Riker’s Island gets fixed and that doesn’t look like that will happen any time soon.

…and the results speak for themselves.

Stop and frisk did nothing to prevent crime. All it did was turn certain neighborhoods into police states and break any good will between the police and the people.

Uh, huh. IOW…this is a culture thing.

1 Like

These thugs deserve getting their ass shot off to be blunt.

“Good” ole NYC doesn’t allow much in the way of carry permits however leaving potential victims unarmed.

Here in TN you don’t even have to have a permit anymore.

1 Like

The ones that have no problem with stop and frisk generally don’t see themselves as being affected by it.

But just imagine that where you live the police would be able to stop and search your person at any time for any reason without cause or a warrant. Would you like to live under those conditions? And it isn’t just you… it would be your friends or your family. And if they found a felony amount of pot on any of them… which wasn’t much at the time… they go off to jail… they are now a felon.

How would that affect your relationship to the police?

Live in NJ, grew up about 20 minutes from the GWB or LT. When I go online I scroll through the various news feeds and pretty much everyday I’m reading about some crime happening in NY. The OP is phrased as a question with some data that is concerning. Let the dialogue ensue.

1 Like

If you’re asking me, I’d realize why it’s being done and would conclude it’s the lessor of the evils. I don’t want my neighborhood to be dangerous for my family…period and this would be temporary, until this violent problem is resolved.