How a good President would have left Afghanistan. The common sense approach

Fever dreams and fantasy island (would make a great Television show)

In real life. Would not happen in a million years.

Allan

Trump’s plan had no concern for anyone in Afghanistan. He wouldn’t of gave the Taliban the deal they got if he did.

The buck stops with Biden. He ■■■■■■ up but you know full well that if Trump had the chance to complete the withdrawal he started that the ANA would of still fell and the Taliban would be in control of the country today

1 Like

Afghan National Army.

What a hoot.

You mean the guys who killed our soldiers on a regular basis.

Allan

Nope. I just mean the blinded chutzpah of it.

Afghanistan is a land, but it’s only a country by default, as the where the other local powers have stopped wasting treasure, on account of it being inhabited by ungovernable rivals who switch sides at least once a year as a matter of tradition.

Nobody is saying Biden didn’t ■■■■ it up.
Some people are pretending the entire 20 years including 1st half of the withdrawal weren’t also a ■■■■ up

1 Like

With the weapons we gave them. I am soooooo happy we’re finally out of there

Credit to Trump here. Real credit, even if he just stumbled backwards into it.

The ISI is no longer, and won’t be for the foreseeable future, the only sugardaddies to give 'em goods.

And a well armed Taliban is very likely to draw the interests of the kind of enemies who refuse to learn the lessons the Persians, Russians, British, Soviets and Americans studiously refused to learn.

Also, not good for Russia. Really, quite bad for them. Putin is going to have to bribe Kadyrov into forgetting the playground is open again

Leaving Afghanistan was one of the few decisions he made that I agreed with. My only real concern was that we might be doing it too quickly

No we don’t remember because it did not happen. They were getting their briefs by end of Nov.

1 Like

Irrelevant and counterfactual. Afghanistan is ungovernable as a whole.

The Taliban aren’t “in control of the country”. They are in control of parts of the country. And that will ebb and flow over time.

I’m okay with bandaid ripping. But, I don’t suffer from the Consensus view of the US as an ennobling, civilizing power.

They kept dragging their feet

Slaughtering people on a road is the same beast.

Different beast: different situation. The context matters, esp since we’re discussing Poppy Bush and Baker. Dollars to donuts, they leave an intractable problem in tact in the Russian territorial anus.

Esp since they were already used to doing it.

Wasn’t prudent, over the berm, if the goal was to keep the sclerotic House of Saud up on its corrupt haunches for a generation or two longer. Which was very much the goal.

Two thoughts:

1)-“keeping air power until no longer needed” is mission creep. You keep the sircraft, you have to keep troops to defend the base. You need techs to service the aircraft, and contractors to service both. On, and on. The aircraft need to come out when the troops do.

2)-we should have prohibited Americans from going into Afghanistan after Biden announced the hard withdrawal date on 04/21.

That was not the question. The question was simple and straightforward.

I don’t disagree with you strategically. The question I read was one of will.

Honest question: if money, time, or casualties were not a factor, do you think we ever could have succeeded in Afghanistan?

I don’t think will is severable from its field of play.

I don’t think Poppy and Baker ever soften up Afghanistan for Russia, just like they were never Clinton-stupid enough to send Zinni on his moron’s tour of the 'Stans.

I have my problems with the elder Bush, but I don’t think he would have clintoned the whole world into thinking Russia could be encircled free of charge.

Succeeded at what?