House committee requests hearing with postmaster general amid mail-in voting concerns

Of course they are. It has already been reported that Senator’s Johnson and Graham are receiving smack on Biden from the Russians. Fasten your belts. This is going to get ugly. Trump and his supporters are going to use any means that they can to win. And it seems that Trump supporters don’t care that a country like Russia is trying to interfere in our election.

And we are in the middle of a pandemic. And I would think that every American wants to voting process to be as easy as it can be. And that every registered voter has a chance to cast their ballot without having to risk their health. Don’t you agree?

1 Like

There is of course zero evidence to suggest this is actually true.

As the head of a much more efficient logistics operation he’s the guy needed to help improve the USPS.

Nobody, but nobody, wants take over the delivery of regular mail, without gov’t subsidies and a secured gov’t monopoly it would be a losing proposition for any private company.

The only people attempting to dismantle our institutions are democrats and their rabble in the street.

We’d have to “imagine” it because it’s not happening.

Yes, the entire premise is, “sickening”. It is a sick fantasy with no basis in reality and completely unsupported by any actual verifiable facts.

I know this is pointless but are there any actual facts that support these claims?

His wife’s financial disclosure statements.

MASSIVE conflict of interest

DeJoy and his wife, Aldona Wos, the ambassador-nominee to Canada, have between $30.1 million and $75.3 million in assets in USPS competitors or contractors, according to Wos’s financial disclosure paperwork filed with the Office of Government Ethics

https://www.washingtonpost.com/business/2020/06/15/trump-postal-service-dejoy/

I believe that Trump put DeJoy in the position to insure that mail-in ballots will get delayed.

It has been reported that DeJoy and his wife have anywhere from $35M - $75M interest in USPS competition.

Is this the start of privatizing the postal service?

See the bolded.

So, ignore the 800 pound gorilla. Good job.

I’m not ignoring anything, it was known going in they had a large interest in UPS, that is why he was the man for the job, UPS is much more efficient than the PO and is consistently profitable.

So once again.

I believe that Trump put DeJoy in the position to insure that mail-in ballots will get delayed.

Is this the start of privatizing the postal service?

I agree, even with mail in voting being an option I believe the principal method of voting will still be people going to the polls and that option should be provided in as safe a manner as possible.

However evidence during the primaries are:

1. That there are/can be long lines, people don’t wear masks which will spread the virus,
  2. Poll worker tend to be older with a lot of retirees providing much of the support and as shown in the primaries it may be hard to get them to return during the pandemic for fear of their lives,

So lets put some context in terms of numbers:

1. The USPS handles ~472,000,000 pieces of mail per day.
  2. During the 2016 election there were ~125,000,000, so if mail in ballots were to account for half of all ballots cast that would be ~62,500,000 mail in ballots.

A. One day Surge
62,500,000 pieces of mail in one day is a 13.24% surge over daily average. However that assumes that all mail in ballots are mailed and processed to delivery on election day which of course isn’t necessarily true. Mail in ballots can/and should be mailed early to arrive by election day and (IIRC) most states require that they be post marked by election day to be valid, not that they have to arrive by election day. I do believe there are a few states with the later rather than the former.

B. 3 Week Surge
Taking those same numbers and spreading them out over three weeks (mostly early to final cleanup deliveries a day or two after election day) means those piece of mail get spread out to a daily average of

472,000,000 Pieces per day normal
62,500,000 / 21 = 2,976,190.48 Piece per day additional
Percent Change = 0.6305%

C. 4 Week Surge
Taking those same numbers and spreading them out over four weeks (mostly early to final cleanup deliveries a day or two after election day) means those piece of mail get spread out to a daily average of

472,000,000 Pieces per day normal
62,500,000 / 28 = 2,232,142.86 Piece per day additional
Percent Change = 0.4729%
. The USPS should be able to handle a surge of about 0.5% over the short 3-4 weeks where mail in ballots would be going through the system.
.WW, PSHS

1 Like

It is in his best interest, with millions of dollars at stake, if the USPS is as inefficient as possible. MASSIVE conflict of interest.

1 Like

No it isn’t. The two are actually partners and UPS does’t want to be in the FCM business.

USPS actually delivers a lot of UPS packages particularly in rural areas and for those that are otherwise deliverable for UPS they will often leave them at the local PO as well.

I’ve shipped thousands of items.

They compete.

The ONLY reason to use UPS is if USPS is more expensive, which they often or even usually are depending on what you’re shipping. USPS service is superior making it the preferable choice if the price is close. All this guy has to do is make USPS slower and he will reap millions over time. He is the worst possible choice. His interests are in direct conflict with the entity he is in charge of.

1 Like

Lucky you. You have a car. Lucky me, my polling place is within walking distance, and I have never waited more than 3 minutes in a line. But how about these people?
**The City of Milwaukee had just five in-person voting sites open for Tuesday’s election ** So would you say they had the same opportunity to cast their vote as I did?
Voting SHOULD be easy.

HE is the first post master in 20 years to have no experience with the post office.

He and is wife are investor in UPS, a direct competitor to the USPS.

The Postal Service has informed states that they’ll need to pay first-class 55-cent postage to mail ballots to voters, rather than the normal 20-cent bulk rate. That nearly triples the per-ballot cost at a time when tens of millions more will be delivered.

Nice.

This is from November 2018.

From. Mail-In Ballot Postage Becomes a Surprising (and Unnecessary) Cause of Voter Anxiety — ProPublica

Patrick said that if voters started leaving stamps off their mail-in ballots en masse, it could significantly drive up election administration costs. “We know there are tens of millions of voters who receive their ballots by mail,” she said.

Multiply that by 50 cents for a first-class stamp, or more for longer ballots that require two or three stamps, and the overage charges could run into millions of dollars per election.

The evidence in the primaries, like in NY where 21% of the vote was rejected, id that this scheme may end in disaster.