Hitchcock Was a Genius / Hitchcock Was Horrible

The Coen brothers have made several masterpiece level films.

No Country for old men
Fargo
Blood Simple
Oh Brother, Where Art Thou?
The Big Lebowski

1 Like

And Cuaron directed Children Of Men, a top 10 film candidate.

1 Like

Don’t forget Barton Fink, Miller’s Crossing, The Man Who Wasn’t There, Raising Arizona and True Grit.

They’re all good, except for Crimewave and The Ladykillers.

All great films, agree on the last 2 as well, not a fan.

Coppola would number five for me. Lynch, Antonioni, De Palma…Cameron

But movie directors are not the topic here.

Kubrick is one through ten, in reality.

Eyes Wide Shut, even sneaks Soros into EWS, because Kubrick knew these crazy people to the core. It has so many clues in the movie it requires many viewings

The topic is how talking about Soros is censored.
He’s the most evil

Conspiracy stuff, sorry. Illuminati tangents and secret societies are the foodstuff of pointless discussions, not the real world. People see what they want to see, I suppose.

3 Likes

Blasphemy.

1 Like

I will defend Crimewave to my dying day

Miller’s Crossing is legitimately underrated. That ■■■■ is amazing.

2 Likes

It’s second or third favorite Coen Brothers film, after Lebowski (and maybe tied with Fargo).

Lebowski
Fargo
No Country For Old Men
Intolerable Cruelty
Burn After Reading
A Serious Man

My favorite thing about the Coens is their outright worship of Dashiell Hammett, something I share with them, and Miller’s Crossing is the only decent Hammett adaptation outside of The Maltese Falcon.

Lebowski
Miller’s Crossing
Fargo
No Country for Old Men
Blood Simple
The Man Who Wasn’t There
O Brother

They’re all good, except for Crimewave and The Ladykillers.

I’m embarrassed to admit that I still giggle at the Waffle Hut scene. I’m not proud of myself.

I saw again the other day. It’s a good movie. No where near top ten. On the Coens I liked No Country for Old Men, Miller’s Crossing and I always loved Raising Arizona. But what do they say? Not much. No Country was their best film.

I should love it - the Raimis and the Coens working together, and starring Bruce Campbell?

It’s like it was designed for me. And yet, it’s at the bottom of the list.

Not really, we idolize this guy but look at the films. The acting is terrible. Most of these actors sound like they are on a stage, not a movie set. The dialogue is stilted, over enunciated and ridiculous.

Just watch this scene from a modern perspective. Any director who shot a scene like this now would be mocked and ridiculed, or this would be a parody.

His movies did not age well.

1 Like

:rofl: Yeah, comic book characters and gratuitous cursing is great!

Oh baloney.

Hitchcock is worshipped and copied by real directors.

That’s the wrong lens to view Hitchcock. Every single film director of note acknowledges his influence, and as far as acting is concerned he was at his creative apex when Hollywood was transitioning from “classical” to method acting. There’s a reason why older films appear to have such exaggerated mannerisms in all performances - it was the acting style of the time.

1 Like