High noon? Trump on Fox 2 hour town hall. Today at noon

Why? It’s never been based off the popular vote. I think they should go back to the winner being President and the runner up VP instead, regardless of party. That way we wouldn’t keep seeing the paradigm shift every time parties change control.

If it isn’t based on the popular vote it means some people’s votes are not equal to others.

Is anyone surprised the President is spewing false crap again?

A 2015 New York state report said that in the case of a “severe” pandemic, the state would be short about 16,000 ventilators during the peak week. But the report did not recommend buying 16,000 ventilators, and did not indicate whether the state was at a fiscal position to purchase them.

The state did not plan to increase its ventilator stockpile because it anticipated that in the event of a severe crisis, there would be shortage of trained staff to operate them and demand would outweigh any emergency stockpile.

The report said the state had to balance the likely ventilator shortage with the need for adequate funding for current and ongoing health care expenses.

So? Have you seen the average voter in the US? You think the system is a trainwreck now…

No. I’d be surprised if he wasn’t, actually.

Our president is sharp mentally. Much more so than his critics.

Same here.

I agree, but not for that reason. The shift would still happen.

False crap? What in that article proves what Trump said wrong?

There was no recommendation that New York buy 16,000 ventilators. There is no evidence that he was offered any at a low price. The guidelines for ventilator allocation if there were to be a shortage did not establish “death panels and lotteries”.

Identifying a potential shortcoming isn’t a recommendation? Strange, it is in my world. What if they had bought 1,000? 500?

I heard what Trump said, “Very good price”. Not discount. Unless he said it somewhere else, which is entirely possible.

Well, yeah, it kind of does. Not the way I would have put it, but that’s triage. “Expectant”

1 Like

The 2015 report mentions lotteries.

The report recommended not to stockpile 16,000 ventilators.

New York State has stockpiled 1,750 ventilators to help reduce ventilator need in the
face of the moderate scenario; however, there are no current plans to buy enough ventilators for
the most severe model. The State’s current approach to stockpiling a limited number of
ventilators balances the need to prepare for a potential pandemic against the need to maintain
adequate funding for current and ongoing health care expenses. Furthermore, severe staffing
shortages are anticipated, and purchasing additional ventilators beyond a threshold will not save
additional lives, because there will not be a sufficient number of trained staff to operate them. In
the event of an overwhelming burden on the health care system, New York will not have
sufficient ventilators to meet critical care needs despite its emergency stockpile. If the most
severe forecast becomes a reality, New York State and the rest of the country will need to
allocate ventilators and other scarce resources

“Very low price”. What price could New York have bought them for?

How about 1,000? 500?

I don’t know about the price, I haven’t seen that anywhere. How much is a life worth?

I’m pretty sure the price has not gone down in 4 years.

1 Like

They had 1,750 which would have covered them in a moderate scenario. Trump said that the report recommended that Cuomo buy 16,000 ventilators. This lie came from a right-wing partisan, Betsy McCaughey, who was called out by the factheckers for false statements when Obamacare was being debated. Trump blindly passed it on, not caring whether or not it was true.

From the Politifact piece -

The report issued guidelines on ventilator allocation if there weren’t enough for everyone and suggested that hospitals designate a triage officer or committee. It explored a lottery system, but did not recommend it as the primary option. Cuomo did not establish one.

Recommended was not the right word. It did identify almost that number as a shortcoming in a severe scenario, which is what they have. Good news is the report was accurate.

Cuomo is saying he needs 30,000, not 16,000. Is he right?

Did he buy any in 2015?

1 Like

Glad we could agree.

That Trump lied when he said that Cuomo “established death panels and lotteries”? Yes, we do.

Do we have a source for this other than Trump’s accusation?

Even if true I’m sure there’s more to it than this characterization.

For one thing, why would a state waste its limited resources on items that are a bottleneck but are a bottleneck once in a blue moon?

That’s what a strategic national stockpile is for.

It’s also what the Defense Production Act is for…that act is not supposed to be used as a “bargaining chip” but to activate production in an emergency.