Here's what's really wrong with America's males

Huh, and yet advocating for mandatory servitude. Imagine that.

4 Likes

Absolutely not.

2 Likes

This may apply to people looking to college as a vehicle to jumpstart building a livelihood, but there are a lot of people who have already that vehicle in place.

They use college to expand their education, explore topics and specializations, and establish a network of relationships with people in a similar status.

That last point is valuable. If you have your career laid out ( taking up the family business, military, family wealth) then college can enhance it. Even if the degree itself is not linked to increased income.

It does not hurt to have some engineers, lawyers, doctors, accountants, etc… in your social sphere.

Buh duhm tching.

Indeed. Do you know what it looks like?

Yes I am. People take veterans for granted. They don’t understand what active soldiers and veterans go through. Me included.

When politicians promote military action and war, they’re not sending their kids in danger.

Mandatory military service will change that.

Are you draft age?

I agree with your points, but unfortunately the colleges don’t charge accordingly. For example, why in the world would an “Art History” degree cost as much as a Electrical Engineering degree? If colleges were honest about it and charged only a fraction (maybe 1/4th) as much for one of these “hobby/meet and greet” degrees a lot of people would consider them less of a scam, especially for young men.

Interesting to consider. College costs have skyrocket for many reasons… most of them bad.

The idea of subsidizing this increase by charging more for the high-value degrees is interesting.

In a sense this is progressive in that the cost to produce the degree is about the same (salaries and facilities) so charging more for one flavor to subsidize another flavor. (Yes some programs are inherently more expensive to run, but you get the point)

Seems to me the biggest college cost is housing, with easy loan $$$ driving pricing and quality way up for apartments.

One challenge to this I see is that most colleges, as far as I know, charge either a tuition or per credit/hour and people start college undeclared. I suppose you could charge a different fee for the different degrees themselves, but certain degrees do not guarantee more wealth or even vice versa. I’m sure there are wealthy art historians out there.

A degree in art history takes as much learning and studying as an engineering degree. It might not be as lucrative a career, but it will cost just as much to the school to teach it.

I know one. He has a gallery in Manhattan.

College or lack there of is not “the real problem with men”.

4 Likes

I know.

Monty Python was here

What do you feel it is?

Never happen. Although conscription IMHO isn’t a bad idea. Years ago the “draft” got squirrelly when they came up with lottery based on your DOB.
Of course like everything else in my life (except for meeting my Mrs.), my luck is no luck at all. LOL
Double digit lottery number came with a bus ticket! :crazy_face:

I don’t honestly feel like I know for sure, but I suspect its related to the slow transition from a patriarchal society to one that is more egalitarian which is leading to men getting mixed messages on how to behave and what their role is.

From whom?

Blue State voters clearly do not.

1 Like