Great supplement for older people...NADH

I read an article about the research on mice with NADH a couple of years ago . You stop producing NAD+ as you get older. It’s feeds the mitochondrial DNA. I don’t want to be a salesmen for it, but it does keep up my energy levels. Kind of amazing actually.

“A conserved NAD+ binding pocket that regulates protein-protein interactions during aging”
http://science.sciencemag.org/content/355/6331/1312

" NAD+ is a coenzyme that plays a central role in biological functions; it declines in humans as they age

Animal studies suggest that increasing NAD+ levels could provide a wide range of health benefits; human studies are now progress to determine if this is true.

https://endpoints.elysiumhealth.com/5-reasons-scientists-are-studying-nad-the-golden-nucleotide-11cd7bb7e6af

I’ve loosely followed this the last couple of years and seriously considered getting some supplements for myself. It’s solid science. Isn’t the “discoverer” the one selling it?

It was discovered around the 1930’s or so the patent has run out… I figure that’s why its cheap and not pushed that much…

1 Like

I’ve taken it for about 3 months now, (in the morning on empty stomach) and have much more energy. My afternoon nap is much shorter, and I sleep deeper at night. My hair is thicker, darker, softer and I even have a few new sprouts. And more I won’t get into…lol!

Where does one obtain it? How much does it cost?

https://www.walmart.com/ip/NADH-10mg-Box-Kal-30-Tabs/31169846

Correct me if i’m wrong.

Thanks.

A bit pricey … $1.50 per pill (on sale.) Unless, of course, it actually works as advertised.

I get the expensive stuff on Amazon. Tru-Niagen I’m experimenting with “Now” brand on amazon because one capsule is the full 10 mg’s and it’s much cheaper. But, the Tru seems to work great.

Interesting.

On the one hand I’m usually skeptical of supplements. Especially with ones like this where the body can synthesize NADH de novo and through salvage pathways.

But it’s interesting if it does have benefits by supplementing. Perhaps other mechanisms within the body get off kilter as we age and affect our bodies ability to provide an adequate amount of NADH.

Here’s webMD on it…

"NADH stands for “nicotinamide adenine dinucleotide (NAD) + hydrogen (H).” This chemical occurs naturally in the body and plays a role in the chemical process that generates energy. People use NADH supplements as medicine.

NADH is used for improving mental clarity, alertness, concentration, and memory; as well as for treating Alzheimer’s disease and dementia. Because of its role in energy production, NADH is also used for improving athletic performance and treating chronic fatigue syndrome (CFS).

Some people use NADH for treating high blood pressure, high cholesterol, jet lag, depression, and Parkinson’s disease; opposing alcohol’s effects on the liver; reducing signs of aging; and protecting against the side effects of an AIDS drug called zidovudine (AZT).

Healthcare providers sometimes give NADH by intramuscular (IM) or intravenous (IV) injection for Parkinson’s disease and depression."

I started using the “now” brand on amazon. They combine of NADH with D-ribose and the fist day I tried it, I cleaned the entire kitchen, and the garage, mowed the lawn, and took the dog on a massive walk. My wife cleaned the entire house. It’s pretty amazing and you don’t feel burnt out the next day. Just natural energy.

After more than 3 months taking NADH, I have more hair and more keeps coming. It’s odd as the new hairs grow faster than the old ones. My cheeks are thicker, skin is smoother, my muscles are larger. I’ve lost weight. I recover very quickly from hard workouts, and if I consume too many beers on friday, I have a tiny hang over compared to before.

I now take them like coffee now. Two in the morning and one in the afternoon.

Good testimonial. Perhaps I should stop being so cheap and give it a try …

So, around 6 months of taking NADH daily. I still feel great, but I noticed a drop off in the effects. Or perhaps better to say a plateau. So, then I started taking another capsule a day of the “now” brand and it’s worked well. That brand seems to be more powerful. The first time I took it I had so much energy, we cleaned the entire house like a spring cleaning.

So, now I take one “now” and one “Tru” capsule in the morning and again in the afternoon and started getting hairs popping out of my old bald head once again. I don’t mean a mop is growing, but just a hair or two a week on the forehead where I can see. I use my super strong reading glasses to check. My wife laughs at me. Pruning like a 14 year old girl in the mirror.

I going to keep using the “now” brand, but have ordered NMN which is also a NAD+ precursor, but uses a different molecule as a carrier (At least , I think so) that may be more effective according to some.

I don’t think you build up a tolerance to NAD+, so much as I think your body get used to having more in the system and uses it more effectively over time. Once that happens it’s time up the levels again. The article below says you can take up to 2000 mg’s a day. With the extra capsule a day, I’m taking 1000 mgs. If you feel a vit B flushing you probably hit your max level for a while.

" Nicotinamide riboside is likely safe with few — if any — side effects.

In human studies, taking 1,000–2,000 mg per day had no harmful effects (28, 29).

However, most human studies are short in duration and have very few participants. For a more accurate idea of its safety, more robust human studies are needed."

I’ll admit, I was hoping for this latest follow up post to just say something along the lines of:

“I’m up to 6 pills a day and have completed building the fusion core, all frequencies confirmed.”

2 Likes

Eh… I can only assume it’s effectiveness is up there with the geological sciences being redefined by a stoned dude looking at Google earth.

Maybe they can grow beanstalks though!

1 Like

So, conservative…:grin:

OMG!.. A fusion core! Thanks! I hadn’t thought of that. I’ll get right on it, once I foil major league baseball.

The NMN is great stuff. Makes you feel good! Found myself singing in the car. My wife said she was amazingly productive at work, and I had not told her I gave her a new type of NAD+ …

1 Like

Surreptitiously dosing your wife…? This reality is more fun than my fusion core joke.

Carry on.

1 Like