Government insanity. We are surrounded by nit wits

She will pass the assessment. You already said she passed the practice.

Many people with their 2 year associates degrees never expect to get jobs more than a couple dollars above minimum wage—see preschool workers.

One doesn’t even need an associate degree for the job, a 2 year college dropout qualifies for the job, 2 years of credit is good enough.

It’s a bare minimum requirement. Friend.

I work in HR for a school system in Virginia which follows the same certification requirements for education paraprofessionals (Associates degree, 2 years of college hours, or pass the ETS ParaPro test) were were originally mandated by the Federal No Child Left Behind Act as it applied to Title I schools.

We don’t have any problem filling IA positions (we call them Instructional Assistants). While true the pay isn’t great - no disagreement there - we have no problem filling positions because the hours are short about (6.75 hours per day for 10 months. The job is attractive to many because they can work while their own children are in school and they have holidays, breaks, and summers off on the same schedule as their children.

.>>>>

1 Like

Apparently, in Ohio it’s a problem.

She passed the pre-test which was 18 questions.100 percent. I just found out that the actual practice test is 90 questions 2 and a half hour limit. She should do fine. Thanks for the encouragement.

1 Like

Then what have you been whining about?

She’ll probably finish in an hour or so and pass easily.

1 Like

Will they be using the ETS ParaPro Assessment?

https://www.ets.org/parapro/test_prep/materials/

Here are some recommendations:

#1 Don’t wait until the last minute to prepare.

#2 Take practice tests in the same format as the how the real test will be delivered. Pencil/Paper or Online.

#3 Reach out to Human Resources, the division office of professional development, or even the school principal. If they will have information sessions of instructional sessions on test material or test taking – attend them.

#4 Determine strong and weak areas. If needed see if some tutoring in advance might be available to strengthen the weak areas.

.>>>>

I’m not sure.

Excellent advice.

“Discussion”? That’s laughable. You can’t be serious. I define it as political tribalism.

Here’s a link.

Educational requirements vary by district.

And I agree.

It is moronic to require a degree of a teacher’s assistant.

I can appreciate the passing the ETS Para Pro test. Or even making Teacher’s Aide a one year vocational certificate program.

But 2 years degrees for positions that are, on average, $10.00 per hour, and less than 40 hours per week?

Even that Associates Degree seems a bit much for part time, low pay, IMO.