Going to be some interesting confirmation hearings

This thread is not about Trump, please stay on topic.

1 Like

My individual reaction would be that I can’t believe that Donald Trump strung together that many multi-syllabic words into a complete sentence.

But try to post quotes in context, please. That paragraph means something entirely different with the preceding one added:

I expect over time that our friends and partners in the region will become increasingly concerned about the possibility of a 19th-century-style sphere of influence in Asia, in which China slowly nudges the United States out and consolidates its power and influence in a way that will ultimately force regional countries to supplicate. However this plays out, it is a good reminder that America’s China policy needs to be about more than just bilateral ties, it needs to be about our ties to the region that create an environment more conducive to a peaceful and positive-sum Chinese rise.

You’re trying to make a point that only exists if you take out of context what Sullivan said. He’s saying we need to be hooked in with Japan, South Korea, Malaysia, etc. to influence how China grows.

1 Like

Like I said…if it can’t be framed in a pithy little sound byte, it must be bad.

:roll_eyes:

“offshore balancing” is a pithy little sound bite. The “strategy” ignores history.

Offshore balancing isn’t a pithy little sound byte.

History is not against it…it’s how the United States rose to become a world power.

The current environment surely makes it harder…but we will need to try something.

American hegemony is unsustainable. New powers WILL rise…China will be one of them.

The old American hegemony strategy won’t work. The Trumpian twist on that concept won’t work.

2 Likes

Checking the report cards of J’Bidens Clintonista-Obama retread “appointees” is a little unnerving beginning with Blinken. He was the “strategist” under Obama’s administration when Putin invaded then Crimea. Not sure what his “strategy” was but the Russans waltzed right into the Crimea without firing a shot?
He’s co-founder of a “political-strategic advisory firm” called “WestExecAdvisors” who under protection of some law loophole are not required to divulge their source of revenue. Interestingly enough WestExec “executives” seem to have ties to Defense Contractors
Joe Biden’s New National Security Picks Are Very Troubling (jacobinmag.com)
Are you seeing the return of the Military Industrial Complex Swamp Thing?

Of course it is. Fit very nicely on a bumper sticker.

China is not the US. It’s not how China rose to power.

Decoupling.

Who is claiming hegemony exists, much less is the strategy? You seem to be advocating imposing US values on China - hegemony.

America First; not only.

Decoupling is untenable for many reasons.

Offshore Balancing is not a bumper sticker phrase. Put that on a bumper sticker and watch people look at you like you’re crazy.

A bumper sticker phrase requires no further explanation.

Offshore balancing requires no imposition of values on anyone.

And Trump’s version of America Alone is indeed America Alone.

Your bumper sticker sound bite is untenable for one reason.

Where did I mention Trump aside from a descriptor for a type of foreign policy?

I responded to your post where you mentioned decoupling.

I responded to your post where you took issue with my branding America First as Amerca Alone.

Do you want to continue to have a conversation?

There you have it.

America First is not “America Alone”.

Are you sure you understand decoupling?

“in a manner consistent with an open, fair, rules-based, regional order,”

is the rest of that sentence.

I hate it when headlines are intentionally inflammatory.

China. :rofl:

America First is America Alone.

And I understand decoupling perfectly…which is why I understand how untenable an idea it is.

China is on the rise no matter what. There is no changing that.

So the question is what do we do with a large adversarial nation that is looking to elbow into American Hegemony? How is that done so the world doesn’t devolve into war?

It isn’t a controversial statement. It is a little more nuanced than the normal “CHINA BAD” though.

It’s so convenient to only be able to talk freely about 1 side of an issue

1 Like

Completely wrong. The Embargo Act of 1807 was an attempt at “America Alone”. Even then…

Every day is day zero.

Self-control is a wonderful thing. If you have a complaint about the management of this forum, I highly suggest you avail yourself of the approved methods for addressing it.

I absolutely agree.

I offer that one protects one’s self and avoids reliance on that adversarial enemy to the greatest extent possible.