Gas prices in Cal making the people Poorer

In the 70’s, smog was so bad in CA, Many days one could not see the Silicon valley from the surrounding hills (2k’ elevation) .

After the changes to the regulations for the gas, and the exhaust systems in cars…that no longer happens. and there are many more cars here today.

It works…

I will gladly pay a bit more for gas, for breathable air.

Paying a bit more for gas won’t provide you with air that is more breathable than the air you breathe now. Particularly when, like in California and New York, the more you pay is in State tax which goes into the general fund.

I hear California and New York lost some EC points over it.

Ah … a quick search tells me that they are releasing the census data and the redistricting results tomorrow.

1 Like

The gas itself is more expensive, due to the formulation. That , along with the regulations on the exhaust systems is what cleaned up the air.

The gas tax is high…but not relevant to my post.

It’s mostly the car’s emissions systems. Modern ICE emissions are very, very good even compared to cars from just ten years ago.

The price of gas has gone up considerably since the formulation to reduce harmful emissions was implemented. Paying more does not provide you with cleaner air. That is what was relevant in my post.

Didn’t California have gas prices over 5 dollars a gallon back around the year 2000?

I visited friends in San Diego and remember being shocked at those prices.

If the gas burns cleaner, and I am paying for it, and it produces cleaner air…how can you say that?

Yes, the catalytic converter takes care of 95% of the smog. That does not mean the cal gas system is not stupid. It makes people poorer for no reason and makes oil companies rich.

Yes, which reminds me testing for smog every two yeas is silly with modern cars. it’s just a tax making the people poorer too. A left over system.

Because the gas formula became cleaner decades ago. It’s not making the air any cleaner now than it did 30 years or more ago as the price goes up.

That may change. People are fleeing California. I just hope they remember why they left so they don’t screw up the places they fled to.

California gas prices only punish the poor. The wealthy ruling class and Hollywood types couldn’t care less.

Didn’t Venezuela nationalize their oil industry?