Future Scenarios in Russia/Ukraine

I’m not sure what all NATO countries have in terms of satellite capabilities nor do I know what the terms of the sharing are with Ukraine. I can only speculate on that. However if intelligence requested for a specific purpose can be delivered in a timely fashion(and that’s the big if - remote imagery doesn’t come quickly for a number of reasons) I’m sure it’s being done by someone friendly to Ukraine.

2 Likes

Thanks for the response.

I’m talking about the 8 he has fired and the one he had arrested.

Sure thing. It comes down to the mission and parties involved. Sometimes information is shared but the collection means and methods are completely scrubbed.

1 Like

I would be shocked if US isnt sharing intel with Ukraine based on how well their defense has been.

How Ukraine can still fly aircraft is beyond my understanding

2 Likes

No, but: remember all those artificle atolls that they built?

I am super worried that they will lay a withering hail of million dollar rockets on our billions dollar carrier fleet.

It ain’t just satellites. I bet we are waging cyber war as well.

Biden’ll stand firm. If so, you must update his grade.

At the beginning of this whole deal I heard the head of NATO asked if a cyber attack on a NATO nation would trigger article 5. And he said yes. I have not heard of any attack from Russia on a NATO nation, so it might be that they are being careful. And I heard that we went all shields up in preparation for a attack.
I don’t think that we will ever know the extent of what we are doing to them.

depends on what you would define as “Cyber attack”
so far there have been attacks on both-sides but nothing major.

I assume what he was talking about would be a cyber attack aimed at critical infrastructure.
like hacking a water system to increase the level of chemical so that it become poisonous, etc.

ransomware is Russia bread and butter when it comes to Cyber Attacks.

Tomorrow will be a critical day when Biden talks to Xi. My bet is that Xi does not want to do anything to piss us or the EU off considering that the two of us are his major trade partners. I am hoping that Biden can convince him to tell Putin that he has to start serious negations. I think that Xi is watching what the sanctions are doing to Russia and IMHO Xi does not want anything like that to happen to China. That is why I am pretty certain that he isn’t gong to say anything further about Twain.

2 Likes

I think that the hack on the Colonial Pipeline was a huge wake up call here. I have heard that the federal government had done pretty well with working to secure such things as banks, air transport, etc. But that hack showed that we didn’t have a good handle on critical infrastructure companies. A few years back I was listening to a CEO of a computer security company who worked with the feds. And he was saying what a great business it was. Because every time they created a new security software, someone was going to figure it out over time. And then you start again and make a better system, that someone will figure out. A pure rinse and repeat business.

1 Like

I bet we are winning the cyber war

1 Like

That would be Xi’s preferred move. Saves him from releasing another pandemic to cripple his adversaries’ economies further. The slow, crimp an advantage here and there long game. Xi saw how bio-weapons succeeded in 2019.

China can afford to lose 10% of its people if every adversary does likewise.

I think this is the beginning of genuine negotiation. The sticking point is demilitarization. Obviously Ukraine cannot be a military vassal star of Russia.

https://www.newsmax.com/world/globaltalk/putin-erdogan/2022/03/17/id/1061755/

1 Like

The claim and the point are yours to support and make. Not mine.

How should we be preparing?

Who is Julia Davis and where is she?

Maybe. Putin has gotten what he needs for Crimea. If that is secured, he may back off.

1 Like

When the future of the world rests in the mind of one person, you can only guess. What if Putin determines that a failure in Ukraine will result in his losing power and being tried as a war criminal, and he decides nuclear weapons are his only way out?

What if nuclear weapons were prevalent in 1945 as someone else huddled in his bunker?