Frankincense. Anyone?

The important things shine through Scripture loud and clear.

A lot of questions I had when studying the Old Covenant Scripture were answered in the New Covenant Scripture. Like Cain killing Abel. God left some digging for us to do.

The Magi were astrologers, not just wise men. They had come to Jerusalem to worship the newborn King of the Israelites. We don’t know how many Magi there were, people assume 3 because of the 3 gifts, but this is not fact.

When they arrived in Jerusalem there was enough of them that they “troubled the whole city.” This shows that they must have been a large impressive group for the whole city to notice. People from the east always gave presents to kings and personages when they visited.

1 Like

Sounds an awful lot like how the Dalai Lama is found every time. :wink:

Exactly right. And you can bet that if there were 3 (or 2, or 10) there would also have been a small army of servants, body guards, herdsmen to tend the (camels, horses, donkeys, whatever they rode on), cooks, etc. They came with valuables. And with a storehouse of supplies. They wouldn’t have traveled without protection.

2 Likes

After researching all of the many health properties of frankincense I found it mentioned in Song of Solomon. I remembered the boys in my Sunday class asking me why we skipped Song of Solomon when we were studying through the Bible and the reason I told them to read it at home. :blush:

Song of Solomon 4:6 “Until the day breathes and the shadows flee, I will hie me to the mountain of myrrh and the hill of frankincense.”

7 You are all fair, my love; there is no flaw in you. 8 Come with me from Lebanon, my bride; come with me from Lebanon. Depart from the peak of Ama’na, from the peak of Senir and Hermon, from the dens of lions, from the mountains of leopards. 9 You have ravished my heart, my sister, my bride, you have ravished my heart with a glance of your eyes, with one jewel of your necklace. 10 How sweet is your love, my sister, my bride! how much better is your love than wine, and the fragrance of your oils than any spice! 11 Your lips distil nectar, my bride; honey and milk are under your tongue; the scent of your garments is like the scent of Lebanon.