Frankincense. Anyone?

Frankincense the word is used 3 times in the New Covenant Scripture. — Matthew and Luke are the first 2.

It is used here in reference to the Magi from the east visiting Jesus as a child.

What is it?

Some say it was Kaneh Bosem. There is no question that cannabis was used in Jewish rituals at their holiest of temples. The plant originally came west from India.

Did the Magi travel west to find Jesus? :thinking:

Hmm, I always thought it was a spice :woman_shrugging:

It is a spice. A spice of no real value, and a strange gift to be given alongside gold.

Didn’t people use to trade things like that back then? I always understood it to be a rare, valuable spice?

I cannot find any reference in Luke at BibleHUB.
biblehub.com/topical/f/frankincense.htm

Luke 1:10 and 1:11 mention “incense” θυμιάματος (thymiamatos)

But that is not the same as the frankincense λίβανον (libanon) mentioned in Matthew

Luke was an investigative reporter. He wrote what others had witnessed/experienced and told him. By the time Luke wrote his account, the baby Jesus was a “young child” and was living in a house so that could be why his account is different.

The word Matthew used ‘olibanum’ - translated frankincense is an “aromatic resin used in incense and perfumes, obtained from the trees of the genus Boswellia in the family Burseraceae.” (from wiki)

1 Like

That’s what I thought.

2 Likes

I didn’t cheat by looking it up, but I may look it up since I am now curious :wink:
I looked it up. Geeze, it is tree sap. :face_with_peeking_eye:

2 Likes

IMG_6720

Yesss Spice!

3 Likes

It is thought that they came from Arabia, if that is so, they traveled West.

Frankincense is found in the East Indies – Arabia. Myrrh was also a product of Arabia and it comes from a tree like frankincense. They would have brought the baby Jesus the best that they had, which would have been gold, frankincense and myrrh.

Frankincense and myrrh might be more along medicinal gifts?

Now on to Myrrh

1 Like

Yes. Feel free.

LOL Gummy sap.

Whatever the reason, it had to hold a very high value for the people bringing it.

From the article I posted:

About 2,000 years ago, frankincense was mainly prized for its use in religious ceremonies as incense, as most varieties have a woody, musky scent thanks to a group of chemicals in the resin called terpenes. At the time, thousands of tons were shipped from Africa around the Mediterranean, to India, and even as far as China, making frankincense one of the most lucrative commodities.

“Back then, Somali frankincense — Boswellia frereana — was the variety that was most traded,” Ali told Live Science. “In Arabic, it’s called Asli, which means ‘the original’ or ‘the first,’ and it’s thought to be the one that was presented to Jesus.”

1 Like

I believe this to be very accurate, especially if Kaneh Bosem was involved.

The New Testament was written and translated from different languages than the Old Testament, so it could just be as simple as the interpretation of the time.

Myrrh, Cinnamon, Kaneh Bosem (incense?), Cassia, and Olive Oil were extremely important plants for extremely important people.

Terpenes are how the various highs are achieved with Cannabis.

The woody smells come from the Humulene terpene (the light brown section of the graph).

That brings us to the second occasion it was mentioned in the New Covenant Scripture “…most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble, 13 And cinnamon, and odours, and ointments, and frankincense, and wine, and oil, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts…” The Revelation 18

Frankincense was mentioned with other costly things.

I would really like to smell it. I just looked and Amazon has frankincense and myrrh. :sunglasses:

If only it was better identified when first written about. I like this thought exercise.

1 Like