Four Women Accuse NY Attorney General (D) of Physical Abuse

Another bombshell story from Ronan Farrow of the New Yorker, who you may remember also broke the Harvey Weinstein scandal.

Now four women have come forward accusing Eric Schneiderman, the Attorney General from NY, of physical abuse.

Schneiderman has been vocal against sexual misconduct and abuse, but faces a reckoning of his own.
Two of the women are on the record and two wish to remain anonymous. One of the unnamed women is prominent in the legal community, and says she was assaulted after she refused his sexual advances. The other three were romantically involved with him.

Farrow did stellar reporting on the Weinstein scandal, vetting everything thoroughly before publishing. Heā€™s done the same here. An excerpt from Ronanā€™s article:

Eric Schneiderman, New Yorkā€™s attorney general, has long been a liberal Democratic champion of womenā€™s rights, and recently he has become an outspoken figure in the #MeToo movement against sexual harassment. As New York Stateā€™s highest-ranking law-enforcement officer, Schneiderman, who is sixty-three, has used his authority to take legal action against the disgraced film mogul Harvey Weinstein, and to demand greater compensation for the victims of Weinsteinā€™s alleged sexual crimes. Last month, when the Times and this magazine were awarded a joint Pulitzer Prize for coverage of sexual harassment, Schneiderman issued a congratulatory tweet, praising ā€œthe brave women and men who spoke up about the sexual harassment they had endured at the hands of powerful men.ā€ Without these women, he noted, ā€œthere would not be the critical national reckoning under way.ā€

Now Schneiderman is facing a reckoning of his own. As his prominence as a voice against sexual misconduct has risen, so, too, has the distress of four women with whom he has had romantic relationships or encounters. They accuse Schneiderman of having subjected them to nonconsensual physical violence. All have been reluctant to speak out, fearing reprisal. But two of the women, Michelle Manning Barish and Tanya Selvaratnam, have talked to The New Yorker on the record, because they feel that doing so could protect other women. They allege that he repeatedly hit them, often after drinking, frequently in bed and never with their consent. Manning Barish and Selvaratnam categorize the abuse he inflicted on them as ā€œassault.ā€ They did not report their allegations to the police at the time, but both say that they eventually sought medical attention after having been slapped hard across the ear and face, and also choked. Selvaratnam says that Schneiderman warned her he could have her followed and her phones tapped, and both say that he threatened to kill them if they broke up with him. (Schneidermanā€™s spokesperson said that he ā€œnever made any of these threats.ā€)

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/four-women-accuse-new-yorks-attorney-general-of-physical-abuse

The New Yorker article is devastating. And this is sickening, and a perfect example of why so many abused women are afraid to come forward.

After the former girlfriend ended the relationship, she told several friends about the abuse. A number of them advised her to keep the story to herself, arguing that Schneiderman was too valuable a politician for the Democrats to lose. She described this response as heartbreaking.

https://www.newyorker.com/news/news-desk/four-women-accuse-new-yorks-attorney-general-of-physical-abuse

#demstoo

And the allegations should be taken seriously and given due process. Right? Just like the allegations against our sitting president or a senate candidate from the South. Oh, waitā€¦

Get his ass out of there.

Also, itā€™s NY. Thereā€™s literally no excuse for circling the wagons here. Democrats need to come down on him like a MOAB

Especially since his value as a politician is part of the story now. Set an example that nobody is untouchable.

(I canā€™t edit, sorry for double post)

The state heā€™s from should be of no concern. Or should they come down hard because there is no chance of him being replaced by an R?

Speaking of that, rumor is Cuomo is going to ask for his resignation. Heā€™s got a primary to win after all, and Cynthia Nixon wonā€™t be quiet about this.

Lots of people tweeting old tweets of his, like this one.

Jeff Sessions opposes #equalpay for women, and reasonable protections for victims of domestic abuse.

10:48 AM - 10 Jan 2017

https://twitter.com/Schneiderman/status/818892392577302529

And Trump once again proves heā€™s got an old tweet for any occasion.

Weiner is gone, Spitzer is gone - next will be lightweight A.G. Eric Schneiderman. Is he a crook? Wait and see, worse than Spitzer or Weiner

4:10 AM - 11 Sep 2013

https://twitter.com/realDonaldTrump/status/377751074628988929

Canā€™t wait for Trumpā€™s tweeting tomorrow, he and Schneiderman arenā€™t exactly on friendly terms.

Some people think politics is more important, like her friends. Rather then try to teach them to be human, I want those people to do the right thing for selfish reasons. I just want him out of office tommorow.

Whatā€™s your point? Are you under the impression Democrats arenā€™t aware that a democrat could do this?

If heā€™s guilty, I hope he pays the max punishment and consequence. Meanwhile Iā€™m willing to bet no prominent Dem will be tweeting out support for this ass like our president has for Rā€™s.

Well my H (who is in NYS govt) just walked in the door and said, ā€œheā€™s a goner.ā€ Not that he knows anything more than anyone else - just that he knows ES can not survive this. Heā€™ll have a better sense when he goes into the office tomorrow.

But, this is not a D or an R problem or a liberal or conservative problem, This is a man problem and is found in every Socioeconomic class. (And yes, I know there are women who abuse, but it is pretty rare.)

I worked for a Domestic Violence Coalition lobbying for stricter laws in the early 90ā€™s. The stories I would hear from victims were sickening. Poor women, middle class women, upper middle class women and extremely wealthy women. The educated and the uneducated. Urban, suburban and rural women. I still get sick to my stomach just thinking about these women and what their abusers did to them.

2 Likes

Looks like you will get your wish. Cuomo has officially called for his resignation, and asked the District Attorney to investigate.

He canā€™t throw Schneiderman under the bus fast enough. But then Cuomo has a Nixon problem.

Cynthia, not Richard.

You are very right unfortunately. And I particularly agree with the part in bold.

It is 6 PM PST and still no story from CNN. However, they have five articles on the front page about Blankenship.

CBS has the story, havenā€™t checked other sites.

Congrats. Youā€™ve discovered that CNN is biased.

Itā€™s the ā€œresistanceā€.

Here is an amazing tweet of his from just a month ago, praising the New Yorker and NYT.

Without the reporting of the @nytimes and the @newyorkerā€”and the brave women and men who spoke up about the sexual harassment they endured at the hands of powerful menā€”there would not be the critical national reckoning underway. A well-deserved honor:

https://twitter.com/AGSchneiderman/status/985984777596612610

This guys seems like a really piece of work. He should resign.

I remember Ronan Farrow having a short lived program on MSNBC. It was cancelled due to low ratings. Many at the time thought he was a light weight and got to where he was due to his last name.

Then he uncovered the Weinstein scandal and NBC refused to run with it. So he went to the New Yorker. Now heā€™s exposed another bombshell of a powerful man abusing women.

Kudos to Ronan. Heā€™s proven to be one of the best investigative journalists today.

I wonder if NBC regrets letting him go now.

Looks to me like itā€™s all over everywhere from just a quick google search.

Just google ā€˜Cuomo calls for Schneidermanā€™s resignationā€™.

And itā€™s on CNN, right under Top Stories.

Agreed, he definitely is. And since Cuomo is asking for him to resign, it will probably happen sooner rather than later. I donā€™t think Cuomo has the authority to fire him since heā€™s an elected official, but he sure can put the pressure on to get him to step down.