Former media exec: Ban straight white males from voting to save democracy

A liberal former media executive has a proposal that takes attempts to silence political opponents to a new level:

Steven Clifford, author and former CEO of the King Broadcasting Company and National Mobile Television, told PJM that the federal government should “prohibit straight white males from voting” in U.S. elections as a way to “save” democracy. “I think it’s the only hope for democracy in America and I will be leading a great movement to prohibit straight white males, who I believe supported Donald Trump by about 85 percent, from exercising the franchise and I think that will save our democracy,” Clifford said during an interview after speaking at the forum “Destroying the Myths of Market Fundamentalism,” which was organized by the Center for Study of Responsive Law – a group former independent presidential candidate Ralph Nader founded in 1968.

For reference here is a link to Clifford’s biography that confirms his background:
https://www.bloomberg.com/research/stocks/private/person.asp?personId=636015&privcapId=6223793

My question is how would a ban on white males work without violating the 14th amendment?

Southern Democrats were quite ingenious in coming up with ways to ban non-whites from voting in the days of Jim Crow; perhaps modern Democrats may need to resurrect them with a new twist or two.

Could we see a ban on anyone whose grandfather was eligible to vote in the US?

Could blue states impose literacy tests where straight white males are disqualified because they can’t read Chinese, Swahili, etc.?

What about liberal white males? Is there going to be some procedure for allowing non-white and/or gay and/or female voters to vouch for them as a special exception?

1 Like

The problem is that you are taking him literallly not seriously.

6 Likes

Can you point to the punch line the audio? Somehow I missed it.

1 Like

Not needed. If they have more than 10 pairs of shoes, they will be excepted. That will be good for 90% of lib men.

I was going to do this whole Teumpslaining thing but then I realized it would be boring

If PJMedia is reporting it correctly then what he said is incredibly stupid.

Clifford’s comments remind me of Johnathan Gruber’s comments about how the Obama administration got Obamacare through:

Was Gruber stupid to admit what many wanted to ignore?

1 Like

The ACA is a terrible law.

Would have liked to seen single payer.

Who is Steven Clifford and why should I care about whatever idiotic thing he said?

And yes it would violate the 14th Amendment…just like President Trump states he’d like to violate it.

Do you have the same scorn for the President’s stance?

I do find it a little funny that we are nearly two years into the Trump administration and talking about Gruber is still a thing.

People like classic rock all the time also… so I guess it makes some sense.

2 Likes

Imagine if a Republican media exec made comments about disenfranchising groups who tend to vote Democratic. Liberal media outlets would be running it as a headline and taking every opportunity to ask President Trump and Republican candidates why they have not explicitly repudiated the comments.

1 Like

He wasnt being literal. You should know the difference

That’s nice.

It’s not an answer to the questions I asked, though.

Would you like to try again?

Clifford says nothing about denying citizenship to straight white men; he just wants to make sure that they don’t vote.

1 Like

Still violates the 14th just like Trump wants to.

Donyiu have the same scorn for Trump’s position?

:rofl: where did y’all get that one?

Agreed. We should just forget the travesty and move on.

The fourteenth amendment says:
All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the state wherein they reside.

The legal question is whether someone who is here illegally is still subject to the jurisdiction of the US? Please provide a court decision of federal statute that specifically addresses this issue before you claim a violation of the constitution.

As far as disenfranchise straight white males, the fifteenth amendment is more specific:

The right of citizens of the United States to vote shall not be denied or abridged by the United States or by any state on account of race, color, or previous condition of servitude.

Democrats figured out ways around the fifteenth amendment in the past. They may have to modify federal law to do it again, but according to Clifford, democracy is lost if they don’t.

1 Like

Oh wait, it’s still law.

First- close the wiki.

Second- the “jurisdiction” argument has been brought up again and again and dismantled again and again.

There are at least two threads here where it’s being discussed.

I have no idea who this particular yahoo is, but I expect to see much more of this kind of talk.

Of course we are to take them seriously, not literally. They are attempting to lower the rhetoric.