Former FBI lawyer set to plead guilty to altering email during Russia investigation

Looks like we get our first REAL look at how bad they had to get, and how low they had to crawl in the mud to get a warrant to survail people close to Trump.

Kevin Clinesmith plans to admit to one charge of altering an email to another official in 2017 that said Page wasn’t a previous government source, when he had been one.

But he’s oh so sorry he did it.

“Kevin deeply regrets having altered the email,” Clinesmith’s lawyer, Justin Shur, said in a statement Friday. “It was never his intent to mislead the court or his colleagues as he believed the information he relayed was accurate. But Kevin understands what he did was wrong and accepts responsibility.”

Keyword in his I’m so so sorry . . . . COURT.

CNN won’t touch that word or why it’s in the appology with a 6 foot pole (I used to say 10’ but with corona . . . well you know.)

Specifically, the inspector general accused Clinesmith, though not by name, of altering an email about former Trump campaign adviser Carter Page to say that he was “not a source” for another government agency. Page has said he was a source for the CIA. The DOJ relied on that assertion as it submitted a third and final renewal application in 2017 to eavesdrop on Page under the Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act.

Why wouldn’t CNN tell you taht his little “ooops” I change the words of an e-mail were used in the renewal application of a FISA warrant.

In regular court, that could almost get the warrant thrown out AND any evidence that was discovered under the warrant.

3 Likes

Fudging documents, yet he never had the intent of misleading anyone. Right. :thinking:

3 Likes

Must have been an accident. A clerical mishap.

2 Likes

I think he may be lying. Oh wait, did I type that sentence? I didn’t mean to.

After all this time this is all they got…actually it’s sad day IMO.

If the lawyer was willing to forge documents, what are the crooks willing to do?

This may have been part of a deal.

Hopefully just the start.

With telling the court that the Dossier was verified. Changing e-mail information . . . they might find more. Eventually a court will have to decide if the FISA warrant is invalidated with all the missinformation they gave the court.

Time is running out…clock is ticking. If Biden wins in 80 plus days it’s over and everything is sweep under the rug.

This was nothing more then buying time.

A mid level FBI lawyer changed an email because of confusion over whether Carter Page was a source or not for the FISA warrant renewals that we already knew had mistakes.

How is any of this new information?

We already knew all of this.

3 Likes

How the hell is it confustion when you get an e-mail saying he is a source for other government agencies and you cange it to he is NOT. That is NOT confustion, that’s complete dishonesty and lying to a court.

2 Likes

Because of the bonkers nature of who Carter Page is there was confusion.

Some people go from assets to not assets to asset again. It takes a special person to do that, and Carter Page is just that special.

But all of that really doesn’t matter.

This is about the renewals of the warrant and not the issuance of it.

The issuance and first renewal remains legit.

Can’t get around that.

4 Likes

Falsifying a document.
Three questions.

1. Should he serve prison time?

2. Will he serve prison time?

3. Will there be more?

Nope. They has better hustle.

Probably.

1. Should he serve prison time?
  2. Will he serve prison time?
  3. Will there be more?

He apologized for altering the email. I hope he took a deal where he rats out somebody higher up the food chain. Comey would be a sweet score.

Exactly. This is old news. And we already know this did not have any material impact on the legitimacy of the FISA warrants or the investigation. This guy screwed up and now he will be punished. But on the whole this is ho-hum. I guess Page could try to sue Clinesmith. Cool.

I always like these sort of apologies. ([/sarcasm])

In a nutshell, they say, “I apologize… now end all this.”

Oh, but he does say he “accepts responsibility”. Responsibility comes with consequences. Will he accept the consequences as well? (We’ll see…)

Sally Yates said if she had known then what she knows now, she would not have signed the Carter Page FISA warrants,
Is she lying?

That’s usually what pleading guilty means.