For the first time in American history part of the military will work without pay

Coast Guard is not the Military.

Federal law disagrees.

.>>>>

Two of the three things I put are correct.

They are NOT getting paid as military. I know this because the defense authorization act had funded military pay until September 30, 2019.

Under the law I posted, they answer to the secretary of the department they are under (currently Homeland security).

So they are quasi military since they are not being paid under the defense authorization act that is currently paying members of the military.

That’s what a lot of Puddle POG’s say. lol

Yes they are being paid as military. The fact that they are not paid with DOD does not mean they are not military. Federal law defines them as a military branch.

You are confusing “military” with “paid by DOD”, not the same thing.

So?

You are confusing “military” with “paid by DOD”, not the same thing.

14 U.S. Code § 1 - Establishment of Coast Guard

To quote the United States Code: “The Coast Guard, established January 28, 1915, shall be a military service and a branch of the armed forces of the United States at all times.”

Doesn’t matter that they fall under DHS during peacetime and whether they are transferred to the Navy during times of war if Congress so designated. They are a military service at all times.

.>>>>

Wha a strange nit being picked here.

1 Like

I agree.
.>>>>

Are they subject to the jurisdiction of the UCMJ? (Hint: yes)

I mean if they aren’t military but still working without pay… that is totally cool I guess.

I have two apartments rented to Coast Guard and I am sure that this coming weekend as they are out in the Penobscot Bay and Gulf of Maine as a storm that is going to dump 25 inches of snow in the area, they will say to themselves, “Hey… we aren’t military so we deserve this treatment… I guess”

For those who need it spelled out in a simple way.

The military of the United States , officially known as the United States Armed Forces , is made of:

The President of the United States is the Commander-in-Chief of the Armed F

I cannot even imagine having this “debate” during the 2003 period.

I couldn’t even imagine this happening a month ago.

Can we all agree that since the Coast Guard is “quasi-military” it means that fat donald doesn’t look as bad for not paying them?

4 Likes

13 pro-military posts gone on a right-wing forum. Makes perfect sense.

2 Likes

I’ve been trying to not conflate right-wing and conservative and Republican these days. It’s hard to remember. But, I don’t think is a right-wing or conservative forum. I think it’s a Republican forum. And the Republican Party is now the party of Trump and Foxnews.

There is less interesection over time between Trumpism and conservatism or even traditional American right-wingism.

It’s all about Nationalism. So, I think this is a Trumpist Republican forum.

2 Likes

This might be worse than when a particular poster of text walls argues that the income tax is not a tax on incomes…

They should go on strike

.>.
Being a Miitary Service the Coast Guard can’t go on strike.
.>>>>

Just curious: why are you working so hard to justify not paying members of the Coast Guard? I served for 4 years in the 70s. During peacetime, their mission is primarily maritime safety including search and rescue, and law enforcement (fisheries and drug interdiction). They’re essentially the maritime PD and FD, with all that entails. It can be dangerous work, for modest pay as it is. And if you doubt their bona fides as a military service, do a little research on their roles in World War II and Vietnam.

It is NOT okay that they’re being used as pawns in Trump’s little game of budget chicken.

2 Likes

.>
It’s to de-emphasize that the Coast Guard is a military service and for the first time in out countries history (according to the CG Admiral) it’s the first time a branch of the military hasn’t been paid in a timely manner because the GOP President, GOP Senate, and GOP House failed to pass appropriations to fund their pay.
.>>>>