Florida's First Responders Receive $1,000 Bonus Check

Yeah, funny how DeSantis’ press release doesn’t mention where the money comes from.

The money the governor announced Monday was funded by the federal government’s American Rescue Plan, which provides $350 billion to state, local and tribal governments across the U.S. to support the response to and recovery from the pandemic. Florida received $8.8 billion.

He did the same thing with last year’s checks.

As part of budget talks, legislators set aside $208 million from the federal American Rescue Plan Act to provide money for state and local first responders, including law-enforcement officers, firefighters, correctional officers and emergency medical technicians.

He used the same trick with his inflation relief money.

Where does this money come from? In part, the very same stimulus DeSantis derided for its supposed inflationary impact. The governor will use $35.5 million that Florida received from federal COVID-19 relief funds to mail checks to nearly 59,000 foster and adoptive families in the state, First Lady Casey DeSantis announced last week.

Hilarious.

Don’t believe the polls, and besides, Mules aren’t allowed in Florida so it’s all over for Crist.

DeSantis is very popular here among blacks, Hispanics and of course, us evil white people.

Is this the former Soviet Union?

Did someone force them to become teachers?

If they’re shrewd students looking at career paths, I would think they’d do some career counseling to determine average salary as well as maximum potential salary before deciding whether or not to commit.

Incidentally they do get some pretty good benefits, which are part of salary. They can save a percentage of their salaries to avoid working during the summers, and my first healthcare job was in an ophthalmology clinic that offered the predecessor of LASIK. One of the few employers whose insurance covered Radial Keratotomy in the health insurance was a local school board.

I have mixed feelings about this myself.

It’s pretty low, IMO, to place individuals on a pedestal by occupation.

What is the motivation here?

Jealousy, envy, within 5 posts. :wink:

2 Likes

Low information.

He already has their vote. No need to buy them.

If this money for first responders is good - which I think we all think it is - and it was funded by the American rescue Plan, does that mean the ARP is good too?

Or … we could just advocate for higher teacher salaries.

Benefits are part of salaries.

And did these individuals not voluntarily become teachers?

What other professionals can
opt out of work during the summer?

Of course not. It means that those who were against it would be foolish to not take the money and be at a disadvantage to those who supported the give away.
Its not a good plan to give eveyone in the country a thousand dollars. If such a plan passes, take the money or you will pay into it but not receive the output.

That’s kind of how I feel about the student loan bailout. I am not really for it, but if they are going to offer it, then I want my daughter to take full advantage of it.

Here’s more:

https://www.wptv.com/news/political/florida-giving-1-000-bonuses-to-first-responders-for-second-straight-year#:~:text=Florida%20giving%20%241%2C000%20bonuses%20to%20first%20responders%20for,state%20of%20Florida%20will%20receive%20a%20%241%2C000%20bonus.

Still having mixed feelings on the issue. On the negative side, it’s pretty sad when doing a job you agreed to do is considered bravery.

On the other it probably will be helpful with rising prices. Not everyone can do police work and many departments are facing shortages, so why not reward those who have kept their commitment?

So is it good that first responders got extra money, or not?

Depends on whether or not you think Covid is real and they deserve hazard pay for toughing it out.

For the record, I’m against it, but if Floridians want to vote for him as governor after this, that’s their prerogative.

Or, we could allow the money to follow the child, not the school. Allow parents to decide where, and by who, their children will be educated.

What does this even mean?

Dr. Anthony Fauci made $417,608 in 2019, the latest year for which federal salaries are available. That is more than the President of The United States.

Now, you want to complain because the people that answer the call; “Shots Fired! Officer Down! Active Shooter!” get a $1,000 bonus to offset inflation at the same time the administration is telling our military to apply for Food Stamps?

Well, God bless you.