Florida Spike in Cases

Of course you do, when it’s the “right” government.

I’m not scared of science. Academics… well…

2 Likes

Stay safe, and healthy.

Famous last words…

Sounds like a river in Egypt…

Again, both famous last words, and a river in Egypt…

It is when the health care system, your system, buckles for them, and you too…

Stay safe, and healthy…
And good luck

This was back in May but absolutely could have contributed to the origins of this surge:

4 Likes

500 migrants (of which a small portion might carry Covid) vs millions of unvaccinated in Florida.

Seems legit

This is possible.

I don’t believe the masks most people wear are going to be of much use with a virus that supposedly spreads as easily as chicken pox.

Better than nothing but if schools are gonna be open the better be all in on other mitigation efforts.

From the mouth of the author of the study:

How do we know that masking helps prevent spread among unvaccinated people in schools? In July 2020, we and our colleagues developed the ABC Science Collaborative to pair scientists with school and community leaders to make sure that school leaders had the most up-to-date, scientific information pertaining to Covid-19 and K-12 schools. In conjunction with North Carolina, the ABC Science Collaborative collected data from more than one million students and staff members in the state’s schools from March to June 2021. Certain school districts in North Carolina were required, by bipartisan legislation, to submit infection data to the ABC Science Collaborative as a trusted third party.

During that time, more than 7,000 children and adults acquired the coronavirus and attended school while infectious. Because of close contact with those cases, more than 40,000 people required quarantine. Through contact tracing and testing, however, we found only 363 additional children and adults acquired the coronavirus. We believe this low rate of transmission occurred because of the mask-on-mask school environment: Both the infected person and the close contact wore masks. Schools provided this protection without expensive screening tests for the coronavirus or massive overhauls in ventilation systems.

Because North Carolina had a mask mandate for all K-12 schools, we could not compare masked schools to unmasked schools. To understand the preventive impact masks can have, we looked outside North Carolina for comparisons. Data from our research and from studies conducted in Utah, Missouri and Wisconsinshows that school transmission rates of coronavirus were low when schools enforced mask mandates. By contrast, one school in Israel without a mask mandate or proper social distancing protocols reported an outbreak of Covid-19 involving 153 students and 25 staff members.

from the report - not the study - I can’t find a link to the study, only the report.

• Proper masking is the most effective mitigation strategy to prevent secondary transmission in schools when COVID-19 is circulating and when vaccination is unavailable, or there is insufficient uptake.
    •  Plan A – full in-person instruction – is appropriate for all grades, all schools, when masking is in place. There is not a medical reason to provide Plan B or fully remote instruction if masking is provided
    •  Full-capacity bus transportation appropriate, with up to three masked students per bus seat
  •  Current quarantine guidelines have resulted in more than 40,000 students and staff being quarantined. Thus, over 100 people were quarantined for every within-school infection. Due to the low transmission rate (an estimated secondary attack rate of 1%), and in order to promote in-person education, the State should consider eliminating quarantine for those appropriately masked or vaccinated.

The author of the study says very clearly how they determined masking was effective in schools and it included comparing data to unmasked schools.

Florida is at about 50% vaccinated, North Dakota is about 40%. If it’s only about % vaccination rate then why isn’t North Dakota facing a worse surge?

The answer as I have pointed out before is a result of a number of factors:

1. Tourist season.
  2. Contagious nature of Delta variant.
  3. COVID positive migrants going to Florida.
  4. Vaccination rate.

PS - You have no idea how many migrants have been sent or have gone to Florida.

2 Likes

Hint: neither do you…

Only one of us is using .0000001% of people to justify 25k cases a day.

The one making up numbers?

Did you read what I wrote? There’s numerous factors at work in Florida, other than the talking point regarding vaccination rate.

You listed 4 things… but they are all not equal. The absolute lowest impact to Covid cases is far and away immigrants.

Prove it. Also I never claimed it was number one.

Prove it.

You ignore the infection rate and exponentiality.

Ummm…I think you may have missed something with that article.

Posted at 2:22 PM, May 16, 2019 and last updated 1:52 PM, May 17, 2019

President Trump spoke about the immigration plan Thursday afternoon at the White House Rose Garden.

“We must implement an immigration system that will allow our citizens to prosper for generations to come,” Trump said.

On Friday morning, the president tweeted about his immigration plan, but stopped short of mentioning Florida.

:rofl:

3 Likes

Clearly didn’t see that! I laughed too!

The question is whether any of the immigrants that Biden flew into Florida were carrying the new variant that is responsible for the current outbreak. The power of exponential growth means that one case can become millions in a short period of time.

1 Like

No biggie…I just couldn’t let that one slide by.

1 Like

Be careful.

Over 10 million unvaccinated. 150-200k a week are Covid positive. Even if I grant you that 20000 Covid infected illegals were dumped in Florida this week. That is a 10% increase.

200k are US citizens living or visiting Florida.

200 > 20

Exponential growth is not limited to immigrants. US citizens can also contribute to exponential growth.