Florida GOP: companies cannot 'deplatform'

They want to turn all of social media into Parler.

1 Like

They should try the bakery business.

1 Like

Are you under the impression companies can break state law by virtue of being located elsewhere?

1 Like

Or they can stop providing service to everyone in fla. problem solved.

1 Like

What do these dudes even believe anymore?

I’m assuming you’re being facetious but Facebook literally did this to Australia like a month or so ago.

1 Like

What’s stopping Twitter from just not doing business in Florida?

State laws end at state borders.

Yeah, it’s a real thing.

And boy would that be fun to watch.

I honestly hate the fact that these ■■■■■■■■■■■■■ run the world but I’ve also learned how to enjoy the schadenfreude of it all and I’m not sure which is worse.

1 Like

Australia was genuinely trying to get ahold of the fact that Facebook’s algorithm literally decided what media companies live or die.

Let us not forget that the most catastrophic disaster to ever hit journalism in human history was when FB decided that people wanted video content and not written and then sheepishly declared they were off by a factor of ten in their predictions after driving most local papers and media to bankruptcy in the interim.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve ever had hope.

Schadenfreude’s gotten me through a lot.

1 Like

The last few years? Yeah. And I was really never that guy before this. Shows you how a shift in the Overton window ■■■■■ everyone up. We’re all the Krassensteins now.

1 Like

Sure. Let them. Social media advertising is the largest internet advertising medium. Watch what happens when companies in those states are no longer able to advertise. Social media sites might take a hit, but unless New York and California decide to join in it won’t matter. People place way too much importance in a handful of states trying to impose their will on social media companies. The social media companies will be just fine.

An unconstitutional law is passed and signed in Florida.

Remember Terri’s law.

Who knew?

Allan

But that’s the rub, isn’t it? Has this once private company effectively become the new public square? I kind think it has. And as such, the rules will have to be changed.

If I was ceo of fb or twitter, that may be something I would do. Free market right!

And who caved in the end, facebook.

Won’t be just Florida.

If Twitter is not incorporated in Florida and they (a) sell no product in Florida and (b) have no physical presence in Florida - then no, they are not required to abide by Florida law. Their operations are governed by the State law where the company is present. So ya, unless Twitter is selling a product or has a presence in the State, they are not breaking a governing State law.

For years Amazon didn’t collect sales tax for orders being shipped to states and it took the SCOTUS case of South Dakota v. Wayfair (2018) to begin changing that.

But that involved actual products being purchased and shipped inside the states borders. Not so in the case of Twitter where it is (as far as I can tell) not located in the State and does not ship a product into the state.

It would take a case where Florida fined Twitter for banning someone for violating their user agreement, Twitter telling Florida to get pumped and then Florida seeking a resolution in court. Florida would have to loose at the Florida Supreme Court level, then they can make a direct appeal to the SCOTUS. Or, Florida could file in federal court and work it’s way through the Federal District and Appeals courts then then also be able to apply for a writ from the SCOTUS.

But the situation is much different than the South Dakota case since their is no product being sold.

On the other hand Florida could take action against Twitter by passing a law that says the State will maintain a “banned” services list and that restricts the ability of a Florida based company to do business with anyone on the list. Florida then adds Twitter to the list, Florida companies are banned from doing business with that service. That means Florida companies would not be able to purchase marketing and demographics information from Twitter. (I don’t think that law would stand a legal challenge, but they could try.)

WW

1 Like

They do sell a product in Florida so…