Florida GOP: companies cannot 'deplatform'

“Florida is on track to be the first state in the nation to punish social media companies that ban politicians like former President Donald Trump under a bill approved Thursday by the state’s Republican-led Legislature.”

Doubt it will survive court challenge.

Good politics, bad policy.

Seems like a clear violation of the Constitution.

Crazy that they think that it will work.

Well… not crazy… I mean grievance sells

2 Likes

DeSantis is going to sign it; I guess what intrigues me most is the number of minutes between that signature and the inevitable injunction.

So called conservatives are very hurt

There’s a much broader, different-venue, discussion to be had about the facilitation of speech, the public funding of the internet, and the necessity of dissenting and ungoverned voices (Milton’s Areopagitica comes to mind).

This is not it, or, how to get the dialogue started. This is just butt-hurt because companies started to be cagey about some objectionable content.

1 Like

Soon we’ll be able to post anything we want here without being banned.

1 Like

Trump’s feelings have to be hurt here first, then maybe that will happen.

1 Like

I wouldn’t advise it.

3 Likes

Good to see Florida fully embracing performative politics.

1 Like

No you won’t, pretty sure they put in an out for small sites.

At least one Justice would seem to disagree with you.

from Justice Thomas sends a message on social media regulation

On April 5, Supreme Court Justice Clarence Thomas kicked off a new round of debate on the right way to regulate social media companies with a thoughtful and creative piece of legal scholarship. His key point is that First Amendment review by the courts might very well uphold a state or federal statute that treated social media platforms as common carriers or places of public accommodation and restricted their ability to remove content on their systems based on political point of view. He did this in the form of a non-binding [concurring opinion]

(https://www.supremecourt.gov/opinions/20pdf/20-197_5ie6.pdf) in the Supreme Court decision dismissing as moot a lawsuit against former president Donald Trump over his blocking of some Twitter followers.

So when you say the court will strike it down, are you referring to this court or a freshly packed one?

2 Likes

John Roberts has also called social media, “the new public square”. I wonder what he was hinting?

3 Likes

Do you agree with that? Should free-speech violations be based on how many people’s rights are being violated?

An injunction will probably come from a Florida court.

I continue to find it hilarious that you think that Websites are common carriers but ISPs are not.

4 Likes

It’s probably not wise to depend on John Roberts as any kind of conservative bastion. The more likely outcome is he’ll rewrite the Florida law from the bench to force the entire state to subscribe to Twitter.

2 Likes

I am not counting on anything.

2 Likes

Social media companies will block Florida IPs. Floridians and Florida business will not be happy with the politicians who made the change. Politicians will reverse course.

3 Likes

Umm no, bunch of other states right behind them.