Federal judge blocks California law to force disclosure of Trump's tax returns

Not surprising in the slightest.

The Judge took the unusual step of enjoining the law from the bench in the interest of preventing irreparable harm to any potential Presidential candidate, including Trump and will issue a formal ruling shortly.

Regardless of what your opinions are on the merits of the law.

It clearly is both unconstitutional and also preempted by federal statute.

There could be no other outcome in this case than a complete overturn of this statute.

2 Likes

Thumbs up to upholding the rule of law, regardless of what one’s personal feelings are.

JWK

"The public welfare demands that constitutional cases must be decided according to the terms of the Constitution itself, and not according to judges’ views of fairness, reasonableness, or justice." – Justice Hugo L. Black ( U.S. Supreme Court Justice, 1886 - 1971) Source: Lecture, Columbia University, 1968

Good news. :us:

And to think, Trump could’ve just released his tax returns like he promised.

did he break the law?

It temporary injunction…
Its blocked and remains to see if its tackled.

If it reaches the supreme, wonder if Roberts would be the robe in the ointment.

No, but he refuses to be bullied or bend. That is the same as breaking the law to some people.

2 Likes

Since it isn’t Constitutional, I rather doubt it.

Are all ballot access laws unconstitutional, or just this particular one?

definitely!

1 Like

Purely procedural laws are constitutional and this ruling does not effect those.

1 Like

Yeah, that was a ridiculous law.

Even if Donald Trump’s tax returns show that he’s indebted to Russian Oligarchs for millions of dollars, it wouldn’t change anybody’s mind as far as whether they support him or not. Donald Trump haters would still hate him because of TDS and Trump supporters would still support him. Donald Trump is the best president America has ever had, and nothing the Democrats cry about is going to change that.

1 Like

Link to the case docket at the Eastern District of California. Hopefully will have the written opinion by early next week.

Providing your tax returns is NOT a requirement to run for President.

If the law needs to be changed to reflect that then it should be done. But the judge shopping because the lawmakers hide from any political hot potato has GOT to stop.

I didn’t say it was. I was just saying that it doesn’t even matter if he provides them; no matter what’s in his returns it won’t change anybody’s mind.

Think it only applies to the primary ballots and not national ballot.
Its noted that non compliance will prevent being in the preliminary ballots but does not keep from being on the general national election ballot for the presidency.

I don’t agree with your assessment that it won’t change anyone’s mind, nor do I agree with the premise that he is the best President America has ever had.

However, my point stands even if it is generic to the topic but placed in a reply to your post.

I would note that Democrats filed just as many, if not more lawsuits.

And I don’t fault EITHER for doing so. They should vigorously defend themselves in court.

As for the cases themselves, they are unrelated. One case involved tax records as a prerequisite for ballot status, while the other involves the privileges and immunities of a sitting President versus a criminal subpoena.

The one will not effect the other.

California deserves Newsom…and all the feces that goes with him.