Far right wins EU elections and Macron could be history soon

Yes, if it ever happens then you’ll be right. Fair enough?

Oh wait, it didn’t happen yet?
So . . . I was right. They are still cheese-eaters for now.
(wink)

People opining on European politics through Americo centric prism is sooo much fun to read

There is a reason why European fascism is in part leftist and why the political spectrum isn’t linear. Because even their fascists would be considered commies here. In fact they are.

The right in Europe is fine with every social program, huge government, regulatory control, green energy via governmental edict, etc

Just no immigrants please.

3 Likes

4 Likes

3 Likes

I actually have hope for the EU for the first time in a long time seeing who they elected. I had pretty much written France, Denmark, and Sweden off to join the caliphate. Maybe there’s hope :crossed_fingers:

2 Likes

https://www.cnn.com/2024/06/17/homes/florida-law-bans-chinese-citizens-buying-homes/index.html

For nearly a year, however, it has been a crime for him to purchase a home in Florida after the state’s governor, Ron DeSantis, signed a law restricting Chinese nationals without US green cards from purchasing property in the state.

Go DeSantis!

He made a mistake by making it specific to Chinese.

Free-market guy here.
Under what I’ll call “normal conditions” I would not oppose foreign nationals buying US homes and farms. But

• We have a Fed that periodically subsidizes home-buying,
    — and periodically intervenes to keep homes expensive
  • We have Fannie Mae, Freddie Mac and Farmer Mac, that permanently subsidize home-buying,
  • etc…

There is really no way to untie that knot and make sure those expensive subsidies apply only to Americans so a total ban on hostile-foreign ownership of such things is not a bad idea.

It has nothing to do with “free market.” It has to do with legal status. In order to buy a residence, you need to be a resident.

A legal resident.

1 Like

The first round of a snap parliamentary election in France points to a surge in votes for the anti-immigrant National Rally party, with President Emmanuel Macron’s centrist alliance coming into third place.

Early polling data from national broadcaster France 2 indicates that National Rally (RN) won 34% of the vote while the leftist New Popular Front (NFP) alliance got 28.1%. Macron’s centrist Together bloc garnered 20.3%, according to initial projections, which are based on samples of actual results taken from polling stations that closed earlier in the afternoon.

2 Likes

That’s what happens when you gamble in politics with a hot war on your continent.

Not a good time in the west to be and establishment pro illegal immigration candidate. Sad thing is all this was predictable and could have been managed and prevented.

5 Likes

Never let political realities get in the way of your ideology.

Vladimir Lenin, probably.

Klarsfeld told The Associated Press in an interview at his Paris apartment that the far-left France Unbowed party has militant pro-Palestinian supporters and “antisemitic overtones," while Le Pen’s party supports Israel and Jewish people.

“Marine Le Pen is the head of a party which supports Israel and supports the Jews,” Klarsfeld said in the interview Tuesday. “So we gave this advice to those who will be faced with this runoff between the far left and what used to be the far right, which for us is now a populist party, to vote for the right,” he said.

4 Likes

I saw that, think of that how much that really says. Most know who her father was and the Jewish man saying between the two Jews are more safe under the National Rally party.

4 Likes