Faith is a virtue of the Intellect

We do have free will. There are those who have faith in love (God) and that the way of love works best. And there are those who believe they know a better way.

There are subtle differences between faith, belief, opinion. I have faith that the way of love works, and my life is evidence of that. I have a belief (conviction) that Catholicism is able to bring me closer to God than any other religion. It is my opinion that many stories in the Bible should not be taken literally.

Right but what “intellectual” discussion you had was all about love, with the “faith story” simply an add-on.

You simply tried to “bring faith along for the ride”.

You misunderstand.

No I understood quite well, thank you.

I do agree that this should be the basic principle of what Christianity is, and it’s how my parents live it. Have a good night!

People with higher IQ’s tend to be over-thinkers. If something doesn’t make sense, they’re going to think about it until it does, or until they reject the notion altogether.

Presentation is vital, and something that the church has been lacking in for some time now. One of several reasons the church continues to bleed membership.

That’s your opinion. And it is. This silly semantic game is just that - silly. You dont need to have religious faith, you dont need to have faith to love. I love my family. No faith required.

The “faith” you speak of simply injects God into it.

As an aside, I have “faith” / “confidence” in myself. Not religious faith. What kind of “faith” are you talking about?

“Do unto others as you would have them do unto you.”

It’s so easy, we had to go and complicate things! :wink:

But you don’t believe that, even though it’s not an opinion? You’re describing an opinion you believe in and labeling it as “faith”. That’s what faith is. It’s an opinion you believe in.

Thank you! And as it is now morning, I will wish you a very good day.

Non intellects dont love

Yes, and it my position is that with proper education–or as you put it, presentation, they could be given the logic they crave. Understanding the difference between faith and belief/opinion might be a good start.

That’s not the part I was debating.

Too true. As my seventh grade classmates used to challenge, “If someone enjoys masochism, should they be masochistic towards others?”

1 Like

I wasn’t addressing your debate just adding on to the subject

I had to find these things on my own. I’m not exactly bitter about it, but I would have preferred to never have had to leave the church in the first place. I don’t think the church will die out completely and I do think that this emerging new Renaissance will eventually solve the bleeding.

The only problem I have with the current presentation of the Bible is the semantics combined with a lack of metaphorical emphasis. I believe with the current coming-together of science and faith, Christianity will be presented in a more appropriate, modern manner, but with the same texts as always.

This thread is not asking for a debate, but to present a true definition of faith and the various ways the intellect (the power of the mind) can channel individual faith journeys.

So we are just supposed to listen to and agree with you and not debate the true definition of faith and ways the intellect can channel them? You’ve already established you are only interested in discussing your faith, I guess.

That is my hope as well. A better presentation of ancient language, culture, and perspectives versus our own today would be a great step forward.

1 Like