Faith is a virtue of the Intellect

That doesn’t make faith an “intellectual virtue”, however.

And as well, it doesn’t change the nature of faith if one turns it away from what you termed the “silly” notion of believing in the global flood or talking animals to a God who is a “being of love”.

All you are providing is your new way of telling the same story.

Which is fine and all, but still does not turn faith into an “virtue of the intellect”.

It has for me.

Basically the thread needs to be retitled:

“Love is a Virtue of My Personal Intellect”

Because “faith” != any faith other than Merri’s for this thread topic.

Which is fine, just trying to clarify what is being discussed

The priests concludes the Catholic Mass by these words:

Go in peace to love and serve the Lord. Or,
Go in peace to glorify the Lord by your lives.

This is the faith by which we live, and it matters not if some believe the earth took millions upon millions of years to evolve, and others believe the earth poofed into existence in six days.

Each of our lives are unique, and each life can both serve and glorify God. Our gatherings are a show of support for each other, a recollection of what has gone before on this planet, and a place to calm the current turmoil in our hearts, to remember and reset who we are, who we were called to be–in body, in spirit, in mind/intellect.

Thats your opinion

How much intellect does the Florida education chair have?

Stepping in to the folder to say…

Meri is not talking about Christianity. She’s never mentioned Christianity in this thread.

She is talking about Faith.

It’s you who are assuming that she wants to hear only from Christians, not of people from other faiths.

Same thing with literalists vs non-literalists… though admittedly I’m not sure how many Muslims are not literalists of the Koran.

Which is fine, just trying to clarify what is being discussed

Who are you clarifying it to? Meri’s got you on ignore.

…Leaving folder again.

I guess Catholics arent Christians?

Whose God?

Gee @AlexMcAlpine i wonder who this “we” is shes talking about.

What in the world are you on about?

Yes, gallup away on dat high horse.

I’m definitely torn on this subject.

I can see both sides of the coin so to speak. Faith, doesn’t necessarily have to use logic. So that is the downfall. However, the upside is that faith goes upon hope, and hope is one of the best things anyone can have in this lifetime. Even if it is a hope for something bad, morally and ethically, or something good, morally and ethically. Without hope, most good things in this World wouldn’t be able to be accomplished.

In conclusion, the problem with logic, is that everything has to have an answer, no matter what! And I do believe personally, that there are just some things in this World, that can’t logically be explained, nor should they be able to be so.
In conclusion, I do think overall, that Faith is a virtue of intellect, depending on how it is used within it’s authenticity.

You know…………:thinking::thinking::thinking:, the ironic part of your post can be a double edge sword to any Democrat on here that does believe in something like Aliens. Why? Because there is no real proof that Aliens do exist. There is no logic behind it. People believe that they do, and they have faith, that they’re real. Just like on the opposing side, people believe and have faith that God is real.
However, for any Liberal throughout the World in general, to sit here and say that there is not a lot of intellect within faith, would be ignorant. Or at least the ones who believe that Aliens are real. lol.

Carpe redux.

1 Like

Faith extrapolates beyond extant evidence into the realm of what is therefore possible and most likely. We all use faith.

Faith is sufficient confidence that a thing is so to act as though that thing is so.

I agree. Faith, belief and opinion are synonyms. I have faith that = I have a belief that = I have an opinion that.

Possible, perhaps. Most likely? That’s wishful thinking.

And some could say, “That is an absolute fact” is self-assured presumption.

It’s not all rosy news on our side of the aisle, for instance why do atheists die earlier and are more unhappy than religious people?

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.independent.co.uk/news/health/religion-live-longer-muslim-jewish-christian-hindu-buddhist-life-expectancy-age-a8396866.html%3Famp

1 Like

Ignorance is bliss. My dog is much happier than me. Kids are pretty darn happy when santa comes

True but living longer and being happy is a pretty big deal that’s why regardless of my lack beliefs I don’t push them on others especially if they are happy. About a month ago I made a new friend in the neighborhood and we started talking about this huge ugly tree in my yard and how I wanted it gone.

A couple days later he calls up says he has a crew to come in from his church they come in and helped take it down and carried away all the waste. I offered to give some money to the church and he refused. I personally don’t want to war on that. I know there not all that awesome but still I think the majority are good people and we need that.

1 Like

Conservatism is a virtue of the intellect.