Faith is a virtue of the Intellect

Sure. The Koran, the Vedas, the Tripitaka, the Bible, the Book of Morman…as an elective.

According to you and your faith

No, that is belief; sometimes opinion. Faith is addresses what is substantial, i.e., that love is the best, the most fulfilling way to live our lives.

One doesn’t need religious faith to make love the primary function of their life. Focusing on love doesn’t make one a “Christian”. Believing that Jesus was the son of God and rose from the dead does.

With respect to teaching love in our schools we certainly need more of that. But doing so through ancient mythology wont work.

I’m not really sure this explains anything.

Can you elaborate, please?

1 Like

You’re conflating personal virtues with “faith”

I agree absolutely that faith is a gift. I also hold the belief that intellect can be guided by faith; and that the intellect can guide faith. They work well together.

1 Like

I will need something specific to address.

I gave you something specific to address.

Please elaborate on what you meant by your opening post.

if you are claiming something (faith is a gift of intellect) surely you can provide a concrete example of what you are claiming.

In what way is faith a gift of intellect? Explain in detail why this is so.

Thanks in advance.

See Post #18. Where should I go from there?

In what way is this an intellectual exercise?

Intellect is the power of the mind which can direct or guide loving acts.

So now you’re talking about love, not faith.

1 Like

Faith isn’t “love”. One can have “faith” in love but they are not the same thing. One can love without faith. For example, I love my family. It’s not a choice I make. It’s not faith. I choose love over hate as much as I can. Faith has nothing to do with it.

All you did here was say a bunch of nice things about love. It’s inherently and by definition not related to intellect. But semantics are boring, so call it what you will.

Btw I’m an atheist and I am the biggest love goofus you could ever meet.

Even people with low intellect / handicapped are capable of love (gasp) sometimes even more so than the super smart Mr Burns types…

Think pinky and the brain

Love shouldnt be an intellectual exercise. It should be inherently FELT.

1 Like

I have been talking about having faith that love of God and love of one’s fellow man is the best way of living this life.

1 Like

Nah, the atheist I married is the biggest love goofus I could ever meet. :sunny: (Psst! Dear, is that you?!?)

My point is that faith is not holding an opinion on the great flood or creation in a six day period. Faith begins (and for that matter, ends,) with love. Jesus did not command that we believe in a global flood or a literal six day period. He did not give up his life for that. His command was that we love and obey God, and to love one another. That is our faith.

1 Like

Shouldn’t each person decide what fulfills them?

When someone has no evidence of their belief, they resort to faith.