Explain it like I'm 5: What benefits will I be seeing when net neutrality ends next month?

Can you point us to the horrors of what happened when net neutrality was canned?

Or the horrors that preceded it?

It hasn’t been canned, not yet.

It hasn’t happened yet, and that it was put in place was the direct result of what ISPs were doing up to that point. That I even had to explain that to you tells me you like a few others in this thread have no clue on the topic. Run along.

Well then, just show us the really bad things that happened before it.

1 Like

I realize you were told something bad happened, but it didn’t.

As far as I know, the internet has always been neutral.

:roll_eyes: Don’t waste my time, you aren’t worth the keystrokes.

Lol hilarious

The federal government regulates the food you eat. It also regulates the power you buy for your house. It regulates hundreds of things that I would bet you are ok with.

It’s pretty important if you are a small internet based company without agreements with ISPs that can now charge your customers more
Money to acces your site at usable speeds.

Didn’t happen before NN, won’t happen now.

Take a look at Portugal if you want to see what’s in store.

And? You can look at that two ways, they are charging more to use those services, or, they are charging less if you don’t. Regulate that they can’t do it and odds are, they just charge more to cover it all. Why would you complain, if you currently have a data cap on your mobile plan, and your like to watch Netflix on your phone, would you rather pay another $40 a month or whatever for unlimited data, or $5 a month for unlimited Netflix? Either way, just because you want something to be less expensive is no reason for government to mandate you get it.

Oh and no need to look at Portugal, we already had something similiar going on here in the mobile sphere with NN in place. See data cap exemptions for certain content providers.

i think it’s important that the people, who made a political issue out of this when it wasn’t a political issue, get squeezed in the wallet. problem is, everyone else will too.

corporations are the winners of course. and the extra money ain’t coming from a money tree.

How does that help the internet thrive when you are giving these sweetheart deals to some content providers?

Lol. Didn’t happen before because the isp corps were into fostering the internet. Now that it’s established they will go for the throat. It’s happenig in other countries as we speak. This is not guess work. We know exactly what it will look like.

1 Like

Stupid. I see the presentation as good policy versus bad policy.

There’s only one way to look at it - you’ll pay more if you want to keep the same services you already have. Those services don’t cost more to the ISPs after NN than before. It’s ISPs charging more because they can. You might be a happy little capitalist paying more money to keep what you’ve had for the past decade, I’m not.

The government does this all the time. See electricity deregulation, the breakup of Ma Bell, investigation into monopolies, denying takeovers and mergers, etc. NN is not some isolating thing.

2 Likes