Explain it like I'm 5: What benefits will I be seeing when net neutrality ends next month?

If I could edit I’d go back and fix this but to expound the example.

In the case of the pie. you take a slice out and eat it and charge a couple dollars more for the apple pie when you don’t do so for rubbarb because apple pie is much more popular than rubbard.

1 Like

Sometimes people take a stance because of politics and then you’ll have to wait and let them feel the pain. This is one of those times. Once people start feeling the pain or having to pay more for what they’re getting now then they’ll get it. Just be patient.

1 Like

In what way?

The problem is that it’s going to be very difficult to undo the damage at that point.

Exactly. NN was a reaction to the practices many ISP and Telecomms were either already engaging in, or were testing the waters with. The entire point of NN is that we saw exactly what was happening and wanted to nip the problem in the bud.

My internet has tripled in speed over the last year, and the price actually dropped. Went from 100mbps to 300mbps.

That’s great, but has nothing to do with net neutrality.

Pfft, last mile monopoly ISP’s are on the way out the door. 5G is coming. There will be plenty of wireless alternatives in the near future.

Oh, it’ll be impossible. Their ignorance (an partisanship) on this topic will hurt all of us and the corporations will make more money.

I kind of get the feeling that some people think the corporations are gonna make more money on this and it won’t affect people. Where in the world do they think that money is gonna come from? Thin air?

1 Like

In a backward way, it does. It disproves the analogy earlier in the thread about some people hogging all the bandwidth.

zantax demonstrated that we’re reaching a point where internet technology, availability, and quality are becoming so good, that realistically, there aren’t major bandwidth problems that should cause ISPs to try to engage in the very practices that caused for the push for NN in the first place.

Oh - got it - you are saying those charges are to the carrier NOT the content provider - who you would ALSO be paying…got it.

No they wont. They are too stupid to understand it.

The fact that this has already happened before and we didnt learn from it and are putting ourselves right back into the situation should be evidence of that.

why worry? You guys who want government controls will be back in the white house soon… Ryeeeeht? Then papa gubmint can make everything ok again.

I’m not worried. Government isn’t going to save us, God will when he sends us a Democratic Congress to save us from this tribulation.

It’s interesting the there are those amongst us who seem to think that anything the government puts regulations or rules too is some horrific thing. Thats funny because I don’t seem to think you mind that papa gubmint doesn’t allow beef producers to sell you meat tainted with hoof and mouth, eggs and milk tainted with salmonella and so on. Sure a few slip through occasionally but imagine if they just said “The hell with it, police yourselves.”

2 Likes

so there are health risks to letting net neutrality expire. Ummm… OK.

BTW… in virtually every post I make in which I criticize big government… I’m talking about federal government. I’ll try to be clear in the future.

:roll_eyes: I explained it so easily that a 5 year old could understand the example and context and it went over your head. There isn’t much hope at this point.

1 Like

necessity is the mother of invention.

if the loss of net neutrality leads to unmet needs then maybe our free Americans will get creative to meet those needs.

its not a life death issue

And by creative you mean go to the polls and get rid of the ■■■■■■■■ who put the people in place to allow NN to go away. You will see. Not a matter of if but when, and when will be somewhat soon.