Enthusiasm or Astroturf? Pay or Punish to attend Trump speech

There’s a big difference between giving non-attendees the opportunity to be made whole and telling non-attendees that not attending creates a loss for them.

Should the union have paid people to attend the rally fifty-one years ago? Probably not. But there is no equivalence between the situations.

1 Like

Yup. This company made a choice that complied with the union contract. The employees who didn’t attend, if any, weren’t docked time, they just forgo OT. And missed an easy day at the factory.

The Union Brass had no problem with it. Let’s wait to see how busy the union griever gets with grievances from this action. My guess is that the rank and file members, have no problem. It is us outside the union who may have problems. Just my opinion.

“It’s not uncommon for us to shut down the site for quarterly visits from VIPs — popular sports figures like Rocky Bleier and Franco Harris have visited the site to engage with workers and to share inspirational messages. Shell/Penske NASCAR driver Joey Logano was another guest at the site,” Mr. Fisher said

Oh wait. Trump was only the latest in a list of people that the company has brought in and the workers are paid to listen to.

Mr. Fisher said Friday that “this was treated as a paid training day with a guest speaker who happened to be the president.”

He said workers engaged in “safety training and other activities” in the morning.

Oh wait . . .

They clocked in for safty training and other activities before listending to the president . . .

Both quotes from op’s article.

Kind of kills the op premis that this was done specifically for Trump (aka the quarterly VIP visits from others.)

Whooooooops

A Donald Trump speech is part of training…for what?

How to be an ■■■■■■■ ?

1 Like

Do you have a problem with workers being paid to show up to listen to/see any of these people?

“It’s not uncommon for us to shut down the site for quarterly visits from VIPs — popular sports figures like Rocky Bleier and Franco Harris have visited the site to engage with workers and to share inspirational messages. Shell/Penske NASCAR driver Joey Logano was another guest at the site,” Mr. Fisher said.

1 Like

I agree. Contract was not violated. My wife is a teacher, union rep for her school. They have mandatory training days. If she or any teacher doesn’t want to go to a training, she misses out on pay unless she takes 1 of 3 personal days. Contracts are very specific. No contract was violated in my opinion.

And you are okay with providing different financial treatment to those who attend a rally whether they believe in the speaker or not and those who opt not to. Really? If any Democrat had been the speaker I believe you would be up in arms about this.

2 Likes

Its not out of the ordinary.

So your position is that training – which benefits the teacher and their students – is equivalent to participation in a partisan event whose primary beneficiary is the speaker.

So you guess what you want to believe in.

I’ll guess that the Union Brass was afraid that if they did not comply their factory would have been subjected to a Presidential tweet storm that would have damaged their company and their employment.

My guess is as good as yours.

They can’t even force people to show up for biden.

Have you ever been to a teacher training. Often times it’s a marketing plot by a textbook company, software company. They spend a half hour training and then 3 hours marketing other really great text or software options the company offers. Its largely the same.

Yeah yeah…we know Trump is cool.

Was thinking the other day…What kind of person would stand for hours to hear the president speak? Just to hear talking points and applause lines all night… I don’t get it. I don’t care if I loved the job whoever was in office was doing…I couldn’t do it. What does one get out of it?

Fair enough.

That sounds like gross incompetence to me.

I don’t know if I’d call listening to trump an easy day…lol

1 Like

I would strenuously deny the claim that listening to Trump for any length of time constitutes “an easy day at the factory”.

2 Likes

I’d agree.