Elizabeth Warren’s latest rope-a-dope con . . . student loan forgiveness

No, Life isn’t a binary system. Plenty of other countries don’t burden their students with mountains of debt and they are not bad places to live.

The problem with the outdated capitalistic Darwinism philosophy is that it it’s not the best route for society as a whole moving forward, especially when technological progress means that we will be able to reach a level of productivity where you can produce enough goods and services for everybody while only employing a small portion of the population. It also discounts the fact that creating a better educated workforce is beneficial for society as a whole.

1 Like

Choose for yourself and live by your choices. It doesn’t get any more fair than that…period. Nobody is being burdened except those who had no say in the choices made by others.

So I take it you’re in favor of eliminating bankruptcy laws?

You’re not pointing out why a dog eat dog society is objectively good or why it should be a goal. Most first world governments have a goal of creating a society where the quality of life for every citizen improves.

There’s no virtue in creating a society where people starve when 1% of the population can produce enough food to feed the other 99%. Where there are homeless amongst massive vacancies. Or where students have to incur long term debt just to acquire useful skills.

How do you translate living by your choices…as “dog eat dog”? It would appear that the answer is that student loans should be co-signed by the institution that the student chose to spend their money and the institution agreed to teach? That…would fix this problem. Bam…rubber meet road.

Sounds good. So if it’s a private school, the private school will pay for it if the student can’t pay and if it’s a public school the government will pay.

Cite your statements please. Because you state that the professor salaries are what is driving the cost of college education up. Which is totally false in the broad stream of things. You hate Liberal professors, I get that. But the expenses incurred in going to college for four years having nothing to do with the salaries of professors. It has to do with the the huge administrative costs of administrative positions on college campus’. My daughter did a research paper which talked about in the 60s, 70s and 80’s there were but a handful of administrative staff on campus’. But in the effort to market this college vs that, they have created an influx of administrative positions to do all of this. And it is all paid for via the Grants that colleges and universities used to get to offset tuition.

If you have been on college campuses lately, they are drastically changed. They have all the comforts of your son’s or daughter’s favorite mall. Fast food restaurants in the dinning halls, Student unions that resemble a small mall with all the creature comforts of home food courts, movie theaters, barber shop, salons and all of this in one place that cost hundreds of millions to build. All from that same State and Federal Grant money that used to keep tuition costs down. Administrative positions have increased almost 60 percent of all staff since the mid 80s. Adding the creature comforts costs hundreds of millions of dollars.

This is why tuition is so expensive. NOT THE PROFESSORS. Who’s salaries have increased on the level of almost everyone else since the 1960s. My mom, a teacher made 4500 a year in 1963, her first job. As a first grade teacher when she retired she made more than 60K.

If you want to blame anyone blame the university structure and administration for seeing that they could pay themselves a lot of money, bring in more people to do the jobs of a few and the State and Federal Education Grant money footed the bill and what once decreased the cost of tuition, now no longer does, and the cost got passed onto the student who takes a student loan. Maybe if they forgive the student loans, the colleges and universities will see the errors of their ways and stop spending so much money.

Both my kids go to schools where there is not all of this glitz and glamour and administrative costs. They pay for the quality of the educators. My son’s school also raised so many millions of dollars in the four years he was there, they give scholarships that take his 40k a year education down to a little more than 12 K. Purdue University which is about 40 minutes north…Tuition is more than what we paid to send him to this private school. So there is VALUE in what we paid.

My facts come from the research paper my daughter wrote, and is extremely factual. And yes…she got an A…lol

1 Like

I see you earned your degree in a liberology. :sunglasses:

If that’s what you call being pro-capitalism, but wanting basic social programs that every other modern country already has or is moving towards.

Then we may have common ground but…these ill thought out plans that are being promoted for no other purpose than to get elected are NOT my answer to these problems of irresponsibility. Maybe a birth tax that goes ONLY towards that same child’s education is a possibility that must be paid by the same two that brought the child into the world, is a possiblity?

Interesting idea, would the child go up for adoption if the couple could not afford the tax?

I haven’t read it either. Let me know where I’m wrong.

1. It does nothing to address college greed. The cost of education will continue to out pace inflation. It does nothing to hold colleges accountable for their greed.

2. It requires the rich to pay off the debts of the middle class. Debts which the rich do not owe. Theft is theft. Even when we are stealing from the rich.

3. It punishes people who made decisions that did not put them in to major college debt. If you made a good financial decision, you are screwed.

Finally. Will this make college more expensive or less expensive?

If the average job of the future requires at least a college education, then I think it should be considered part of the primary educational system like elementary school, middle school and highschool. Or we could do like other countries and make the target high school graduation age 16 and have most kids go for their get their associates degree by the age of 18.

Ultimately, tying access to a quality education to the parents wealth just perpetuates generational poverty.

Yes…guaranteed money flowing into universities with absolutely no accountability in how that money was spent is a huge problem with the university structure today.

Which led to the knock on effect of jobs being tagged as requiring a college education that really don’t need it.

We should make it affordable to go to college.

At the same time a lot of people go to college who really shouldn’t. Or else maybe we divorce college education from jobs.

What is the average job?

Welder
Plumber
Truck driver
Pharmaceutical production
Pipe fitter

Who says the average job needs a college education? The average job needs skills. Those skills do not always include college.

The average job will require training. The question is who will bare the burden of the training.

Trades are wonderful…but there are several jobs that require a college education, especially as the tech sector becomes a bigger and bigger part of the economy. Those jobs shouldn’t be limited to students with wealthy parents or burden them with huge debt before they even enter the job market.

Agreed. It has not always been this way. College used to be attainable for most who want it. But the greed of the colleges has gone haywire. They need to be held accountable for what they have done. And so far, they have not.

1 Like

High Schools trying to become competitive and staying in the top one percent put a lot of pressure on high school kids to go to college. They make it so that if they aren’t interested or don’t have a career path picked out by the time they are in the 9th grade, the school wonders what the ■■■■ is wrong with this kid. They then pressure them to pick a career, reward them for doing so, and then make them take duel credit or advanced credit classes…and then when it comes time to go to college. Only the two or three state schools accept those credits. But they don’t tell you this. At the high school level. The more advanced placement classes and duel credit classes the school corp logs, the higher their rankings are and the more money they get from the state. My son hates his high school for putting so much pressure on them…and then when he chose a small school the credits didn’t transfer, because they were taught by Master degreed teachers and his college only hired PhD professors. SO no credit transfer. Luckily we found this out at the end of his sophomore year so we didn’t waste any more money.

SO many kids had at least a semester or more of credit that did not transfer because of where they went. And then they felt ripped off by the school corp.

I mean, when kids are paying thousands of dollars to obtain text books that contain material no better than what I can download on Khan academy for free, cost savings isn’t the objective. The whole education system is broken…the college system is just more sad because it also puts kids in huge debt at an early age.